-
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoparMontana

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I sold this car, regrettably in about 1990 in Indianapolis, IN.

Anybody know where it is?

383, auto, blue, white stripe, ralley wheels...

I just found my old AAR. This is next!

Let me know. REWARD OFFERED!

Attachments

• '68 Dart GTS convertible in 88.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 347
Yeah, I bought the AAR last week. Here's the story ~

Twenty four years ago, I was 24 years old and my mom had just passed away from cancer. My dad and I started horse trading Mopar muscle cars as a 'bonding experience'. Some rare, and now valuable cars went through our hands at the time; several Chargers (a 66, 68, a and 71 R/T), a 383 big block '68 Dart convertible (one of 60), a '69 GTX convertible, an AAR 'Cuda; all sent to a new home because something 'better' came along, or more likely, I needed the dough. Ever since, I've always most regretted letting the Dart and the AAR slip through my fingers.
The AAR 'Cuda a perfect example.
View attachment AAR 1988 side.jpg
I GAVE it to a guy who was restoring the GTX convertible because I owed him the next payment and I didn't have any money, so the AAR was given to him instead. Sadly, the GTX was never finished, as I ran out of money, so the restorer paid me $3,000 for both the unfinished GTX and running/driving AAR. Live and learn.
Fast forward 24 years. My dad, now 85, calls me the other day and said he just got a call from a guy who claimed to have bought my old car. He tracked down my dad because it was once titled in his name. My dad apparently chatted with him for a bit, and passed along my number. The next day my phone rings and and and the Canadian fellow and I have a long pleasant conversation about my old car. Here was his email response to our conversation,
Very cool Website you have there Peter (www.fastfourspecial.com (http://www.fastfourspecial.com/)), thanks very much! I was wondering if you had the chance to dig up any pictures, the build sheet or any other info on that AAR. Rob B.
When I sent an email with photos of the car from my scrapbook, I mentioned that I would like first right of refusal if he ever sold it. He didn't respond to my email for a few days, so during the wait, I had some sleepless nights as the butterflies started swarming as memories flooded back.
Hold on, it gets weird here. A few days later I get this email,
You know Pete, you sound like a nice guy and a real car guy. You talked to me openly and treated me with respect, that goes a long way in my book. I backed out of the deal last night. I had bought the car through ebay with them, I gave them a $500 deposit and then they relisted the car on Craigslist 2 days later. It freaked me out. I wanted to explain the story to you first and thats the long and short of it. They ended up giving me my deposit back so that maybe gets them some credit back in my mind. Who knows, maybe they got a better offer and were trying to scare me off. Maybe its still for sale, and, in the spirit of being honest I will forward you their contact info, let me know what you do.
Rob B.
...and then, the next morning...
Here is Kurt's email address, they have your old car, good luck.
Excited, to say the least, I shoot off an email to Kurt and explain the situation. A few hours later I receive a return call. He is very pleasant, but a bit skeptical, probably wondering how the heck I got his email or know about his car. Once I tell him my last name, the son of the guy who's name is still on the title, he opens up and starts to tell me that he purchased the car from the same restoration shop that I 'sold' it to in '88, and that it's only been driven 100 miles since (I remember it needed a front end rebuild BAD). It is almost exactly as I parted with it 24 years ago, except that it is missing a the 15" rally wheels and fog lights, and has some 'shelf' wear from sitting in the back of a body shop all those years. The next question is obvious, "Is it for sale?" He tells me that indeed it is, and that he had listed it on eBay just that morning. I run to my computer.
View attachment AAR right side 2012.jpg
Holy cow, it's back to the future! A real barn find, but it even better because it's my old car! The one I've regretted selling for 24 years... and the bidding is only at $12,000!
I ring him back immediately and tell him "I want it. End the auction and I'll PayPal you a deposit right now". Good thing I'm not a poker player, eh? He says, why don't you just click 'Buy It Now' on eBay, and I tell him I can't afford that and that he should make me a deal, for the sake of sentiment. i make him an offer and he says he'll call me in the morning.
My phone is glued to me. 9 AM no call, and the car is now at $13,000 on eBay. 11 AM, $14,100. 2 PM (4 in indy) $16,500, 5 PM, $18,200... I'm screwed.
At 6 PM my phone rings, and Kurt simply says, "I'm at work. I got your messages (referring to the 6 frantic messages I had left on his voicemail). I'll call you later".
At 9 PM I try him again, and thankfully get his wife instead, who I retell the story to, and obviously strike a cord with. She puts Kurt on the phone and the negotiation begins (you could here Tina in the background steering him). We agreed on a 'meet in the middle' price. The middle obviously means something different in Indiana than it does in Montana, but I don't give a damn, I want my car back. They tell me they will end the auction as soon as I PayPal a deposit, and boom, it was done. I pull the car back up on eBay and there it is, 'This listed has been ended by the seller'. The next day, I wire the balance and make arrangements for my buddies son to take my truck and trailer to Indiana to pick it up. It should be home by the end of this week.
I'm getting my old car back! How frickin' cool is that?!
By the way, I'm now looking for my old '68 big block Dart GTS convertible!
View attachment '68 Dart GTS convertible in 88.jpg

Great story. Glad you were able to get your old car back.It's nice to know the seller worked with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back