Loose PS Box??

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Good day guys. I'm on here asking a question for my son about his PS box. He bought a 71 Duster and has a bill that states the power steering box in it now was new or rebuilt in 2006. I tried to adjust the screw but it was already at it's limit. (well maybe only 1/4 turn until it bottomed out). The steering wheel has about 6 inches of play, 3 each side when car running. :wack:I noted that the pitman arm had no movement however the worm gear connecter coming out on topof the box was lifting about 1/4 inch when rotating the steering back and forth....We have no idea why a box would go bad in 6 years or so. However, My bet is it time for a new box.???

BTW We would rather go manual..new looking in Calgary Alberta area for a tight used one.

You might have a cracked Kframe. The triangle that the P/S box mounts on sounds like the welds to the frame are bad. I have a similar problem and have a replacement Kframe waiting to go in. As soon as the weather breaks!!!! I do have a spare good manual box sitting on the shelf in case the P/S box is shot. You'll need the adapter for the manual box.

Instead of replacing the k frame, weld it up. Your next K could look the same in short order. Around the steering box is well known for it's floppiness. Especially with today's radials.

Welding it up is part of the recommended K-frame reinforcement, along with 1" lap welds all the way around the perimeter, cleaning up the various sloppy welds, and welding up the bottoms of the LCA's with "1/8 flat stock.

Test it out, have someone steer left and right, and then with some authority, see how much the box moves. :)

Another good article for firming up your steering:

[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

Hope this helps!

Check the steering box mount!!!

This is what I found when I inspected the steering box mount on my K frame. :banghead:

The entire box moved when you turned the wheel on this car, basically only one side of the mount was still attached to the K. I re-welded all of the broken welds, then added gussets like Firm Feel does to box the steering mount in completely.

Orange arrows highlight all the cracks. I've already made a few tack welds in these pictures to anchor some of the corners.

Attachments

• IMG_3517.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3518.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3520.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3523.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for all your inputs guys. I kind of wish it was the K-Frame or loose box nuts...Notta...The box is securely mounted to the frame and the ''box" itself has no movement on the frame when steering is applied. As stated it''s only the inner guts of the box or (connector shaft) of the box which lifts 1/4 inch up-word out of the box towards the coupler when steering is applied. I'm still thinking the worm gear or pinion within are shot witch gives the extra play at the steering wheel. Bummer..

I think the play can be adjusted in that too. A factory service manual knows for sure.

Just in case . check to make sure the nut on th pitman arm is tight. mine came loose even with the lock washer. that makes a difference.

get under the car with the wheels still on the ground, and have someone turn the wheel back an forth.

I found that the bolts holding the steering box were loose causeing excsecive play.

-
Back