Loose Steering Column on 65 Plymouth Valiant 200 V8

-

Maddog55

Reaction score
Hi,

Slowly I’ve been getting various things taken care of on the Valiant. One of the things that needs to be addressed is that when you hold the steering wheel, if you move it up or down, it is not secure. I took video to show that, but unfortunately can’t post videos here unless I upload to a site and share a link.

The picture shows the column going through the wall into the engine compartment. Can anyone tell me what might be missing, and where to find the part to stabilize it?

Thanks.

IMG_7021.jpeg

There should be a thick o-ring sandwiched between those two plates that secures the column housing.

Are the nuts that hold it to the bottom of the dash tight? There’s two of them.

Chances are you would need the center shaft (the one that goes to the steering box) to column tube seal too. Post of a photo of the engine bay side so we can see.

Oh, you have a '65 column shift automatic. Good luck on that one year boot that goes around all those cable connections. I think there's still that same column tube seal on the very end though. Hard to tell exactly by your photos.

You'd have to pull that column and remove the center shaft to install a new seal.

You can change the "O" ring without pulling the column, but, you have to remove all the upper end parts to do it. That means wheel, both upper bowls, turn signal switch, etc, as I don't think you can stretch that "O" ring over everything to get it down to where it belongs. The floor plate may get in the way too, but I think you can wiggle it by that.

-
Back