love the old girl

-

alindeman1989

Reaction score
I was driving my dads and my 64 4 door valiant arouned and i forgot how much fun that car is. Just a slant 6 but it runs great. You would be suprised how sideways you could get a old valiant(on the dirt). We are someday going to put a 318 or 360 in it. What do you recomend 318 or 360? If it is a 318 we were going/hoping to get one from a junked car and rebuild it. Can i use the stock tranny from the slant? it is a push button tranny. how do i lower this car? i am use to aircooled VWs.

You can't use the trans from a slant for a v8 as the starter is in the wrong location. The trans being push button operated is of the cable type trans. You can either find a v8 cable trans and pickup a bushing for the torque converter to fit the bigger opening in the back of the newer crank. Or go with a 273 from the corresponding years. If you go with a later trans you will need to change shifter types. I myself went with a 318/904 shifted with a quarter stick shifter. I used this engine setup as is with a rebuilt trans as it was a package deal from a driveable car. I was able to pick up a car that is not highly sought after for cheap, $50. Plus you will have to find exhaust manifolds for the v8. They were only available from 64-66, and the drivers side is restrictive. Or headers which are $$. The slant is still quite a strong motor, and quite alot can be done with it. Check out this other site that involves the slant www.slantsix.org Very good info there. As far as lowering the car you'd have to loosen up the adjusters on the torsion bars up front, but this has it's own draw backs, and the rear you can use blocks. Where in Ca are you located?

im in newark near fremont CA. How hard was the swap from a slant to a 318? How much for the trans? pic of swap :lol: where do i get a trans?

It wasn't to hard just alot of little stuff to get. I got a lot of help from this book by SA Design CHRYSLER Performance Upgrades by Frank Adkins. I think this book is worth it's weight in gold. But that's just my opinion. It gives you alot of different ideas as to where and from what. Along with other upgrade stuff.

You got a wagon!! wow !This is to cool of a good car to build
look at ozcuda's wagon he just got her going. he my be able to help,His steering wheel is on the write side :blob:

gooon front on.jpg

It's in the member's resturation tread

-
Back