Lower priced Power lok, sure grip units on Ebay.

-
I haven't tried them, but as a father of 4 real Young kids ..I buy everything cheap and 9 out of 10 purchases are great and work exactly like name brand parts. For the price you can buy 2 at least and still have saved a few bucks

That is cheap. I wonder how it compares to the ones Dr. Diff sells.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sell you my 60yearold one for that ............
IMO
The clutch type is great for racing.
IMO
the clutch type is less than great for a streeter, unless you tune it, which can take several attempts.
IMO
The cone types however, can be set up on the bench, bolted in, and done.
And to a degree, fine-tuned with whale-oil additive.

Give it a shot and tell us what you think! I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig, that's for sure. Setting up a ring and pinion is a job I only like to do once.

As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.. This is no different than buying a cheap knockoff carb, it may work for a while.. but headaches will come sooner or later.

Give it a shot and tell us what you think! I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig, that's for sure. Setting up a ring and pinion is a job I only like to do once.
Agreed, just got done with that job a few months ago. Tempting but that open diff keeps me out of trouble when it rains. Had a lock rite in there and wow never again

I've ran 2 street driven power Loks with aggressive clutches 8 years combined. I think they have great manners..

I wouldn't sell you my 60yearold one for that ............
IMO
The clutch type is great for racing.
IMO
the clutch type is less than great for a streeter, unless you tune it, which can take several attempts.
IMO
The cone types however, can be set up on the bench, bolted in, and done.
And to a degree, fine-tuned with whale-oil additive.
Never had any issues on street with multiple clutch sure grips. One was rebuilt with aggressive clutches from Yukon, still no issue.

Those silvery looking bolts don't inspire confidence. Would look sweet sitting on the shelf next to the Lock Rite.

The Dr. Diff is $395. Damn $184 is cheap as hell

I'd be concerned about the durability on the side gears and pinion gears. Hell even the cross shafts might be made of a softer metal.. Looks and function are 2 different things.

Last edited:
Can anyone verify if these are Chrysler part numbers?

8.75 powr lok.jpg

Was curious bout something.. i know like 742 and other cases use a different ring/pinion but they all use the same carrier?

Yes all carriers from 741 742 and 489 will swap back and forth. You just have to use the correct side bearings and races depending on the carrier you use Ie Open, Powr Lok, Cone Type, Spool. All factory carriers were 30 spline 8.75 side gear.

Was curious bout something.. i know like 742 and other cases use a different ring/pinion but they all use the same carrier?

Yes all carriers from 741 742 and 489 will swap back and forth. You just have to use the correct side bearings and races depending on the carrier you use Ie Open, Powr Lok, Cone Type, Spool. All factory carriers were 30 spline 8.75 side gear.
thanks

Bottom line: It depends on the quality of the metallurgy, and the machining.
If the metal is good, and the machining is good, it's a great bargain. If it's not.... it's not. If the ring gear flange is perpendicular to the bearings surfaces, and the runout is within spec....... it sure might be worth a try.
And anybody that does stupid **** in the rain with a posi/suregrip/lsd by whatever name, IS stupid.

The Chinese plastic metal would scare the Hell out of me.

I have had catastrophic rear end problems that have
really hurt me badly at the track. (Chopping down the tree literally)

almost 300k stuff sold and only 9 positive fb.no neg 1's. ding ding ding. not me. part number comes up on amazon for 259.99

Whenever I see that "US Seller/US Stock" crap, I know it's the cheapest Chinesium **** to hit the market, and those part numbers are probably copied from whatever they copied to make that thing.

If it goes south and locks up while you're cruising, you swap ends. I don't need a trashed axle due to The Cheapness.

No thanks. I'll save and spend more and sleep well at night, unless I start thinking about people running **** like this on the road next to me.

What the hell did they machine that with? A broken beer bottle? And FYI, those bolts are metric, and not a very high grade.

729 negative feedbacks overall. Reading the negative reviews is very telling.

Last edited:
Price is attractive for sure. But just a question. Where do you think Dr. Diff's sure grips come from?

Buy it. If you have problems,who do you contact? If you buy one from Dr Diff and have problems or have questions, he is only a phone call away.

-
Back