Ls1 valvesprings for stock magnum heads

-

Dustert73

Stripping bolts since ‘10
Reaction score
Wondering what it takes to put stock ls1 valvesprings on stock magnum heads, and is it really worth the trouble or should I stay with the stock magnum springs? I have had the stock cam reground to pretty much comp xe268 specs. I would like to get Hughes springs and retainers but on a college ramen noodle most of the week budget, I can't afford them. All my research on this has came up with "I've heard that you can", I haven't seen definite answers as of yet.

In for responses. Not sure if there "LS1" stuff, but a few locals here do run Chebby stuff on there mag heads.

I thought I read an article on that some time ago. You will have to start with the springs dimensions for the Magnum and the LS head. Installed height, width and lock/retainer to use. How many grooves on the valve stem? What's available?

I'm going to look more into this. Seen that mopar 2.2 retainers allowed you to use a more standard cylindrical spring. Doesn't have to be a ls1 spring either, whatever works for the least amount of money is what I'm going for

Magnum springs aren't made of gold. Why are you trying to use something different?. Hell you could shove half of them in your pocket and give 2.00 for the other 8 at Pull-n-pay

Magnum springs aren't made of gold. Why are you trying to use something different?. Hell you could shove half of them in your pocket and give 2.00 for the other 8 at Pull-n-pay
I have stock magnum springs on the heads now. Looking for a possible cheap upgrade to handle the cam better

This ^^^^^

Because it is crazy cheap and less mass to move around.

Now seeing that stock magnum installed height is 1.64, ls series springs are 1.80 installed height. I would think that would cause binding even on lower lift cams?

Longer valve useage???????

Behaive springs come in assorted sizes as well.
Retainers as well. They can change a few things around.

Found these; edelbrock 5812. Installed height of 1.67, OD 1.435, ID 1.041, open pressure 185, installed pressure 80. Not sure if those pressures are adequate for the cam, but the measurements are awful close to magnum specs. And with a 20% off (access20) and a speed perks 5$ off 20$ through advance auto that cuts the price down to 47.19. A price I can do something with.

Another big speed bump is the retainer. I seen over on moparts that the gm 3100 retainer might be able to be used? Not sure as of yet.

image.png

image.png

I use ls6 springs and retainers in my mag heads. You will need the tool to cut the spring pocket id down. I also cut the pocket depth down a little to get a 1.700" install height. Current cam is 242/248@.050 .550/.555 lift, it has seen 7200 rpms.

I have a brand new, never run set of springs retainers locks and stem seals from a set of EQ magnum heads.
After receiving the heads I pulled them and replaced em with Hughes stuff.

Pay the shipping and they are yours. (Ramen pricing:D)

Message if interested.

Couldn't send a pic via message, but I went out and got them to be sure everything was there.
16 springs (slight conical)
16 retainers
32 lock halves
16 positive stem seals
Open pressure on these is supposed to be in the 300lb range.
120 closed and a max safe lift of .480-.490

I have been paid forward by members here, so now it's your turn. :D

eqsprings1.JPG

Last edited:
Couldn't send a pic via message, but I went out and got them to be sure everything was there.
16 springs (slight conical)
16 retainers
32 lock halves
16 positive stem seals
Open pressure on these is supposed to be in the 300lb range.
120 closed and a max safe lift of .480-.490

I have been paid forward by members here, so now it's your turn. :D

View attachment 1714994419

If he didnt take it i will pay you for them.

Jake

I want beehive springs and itty bitty retainers because it just makes sense. This was surprisingly hard on magnum heads to do last time I looked into it a few years ago. Maybe it's easier with edelbrocks.
I wish I knew who came up with the beehive spring instead of the bigger bigger bigger springs problem of the late '80's.

I should just go to pick n pull and pop apart some stuff to see if the 3100 parts work.

Longer valve useage???????

Behaive springs come in assorted sizes as well.
Retainers as well. They can change a few things around.
Agree. best thing to do is to put +.100 long 11/32 sbc stem valve into them and get into the 1.725 range. Then you can implement +/-.050 locks and or shims.

Ancient post... But the op would have to have new guides to use 11/32 valves.

Back from the dead! Just as an update for this thread I ultimately went with the Hughes 1110 (from memory) springs after I had a valve spring break on me unfortunately. That 360 is still installed and running in my car after 4 hard years. I like to run it hard lol.

Thank you trailbeast for helping me all those years ago, I very much appreciate it and you.

Currently welding subframe connectors on the duster and building a 340 six pack for it. With the 2.02 J heads I bought from you rumblefish. They are assembled and ported to the best of my ability and ready for installation btw

Oooooo yeaaaaa, I remember those J heads. I hope they fit the bill well.

-
Back