Lunati Hydraulic FT Cam users..........

-
And if you’re shifting at 5500 then the Hot Rod article shows there’s pretty much no advantage to a solid, at least in their article comparing only two cams in a single engine.

Did you read the article? Look at the dyno results? That was a 440 running 10.7:1 compression and being spun to over 6k. A 440, spinning more than 6k and over 550 hp. That’s not exactly a mild build is it?

And even still, where did the difference show up? Above 5500 rpm. Below that it was even or the hydraulic was ahead. So, with a 703 he’s gonna be shifting below 6k. Probably right at 5500-5600, like the cams power range suggests. So what is the solid going to do for him there? Nothing. Above that? Sure, advantage solid cam. But that’s not a match to the cam specs he’s planning.

And really, that article compares two cams in only one engine. I mean, props to the writers for actually trying to compare similar cams. But two cams? One engine? That’s hardly definitive. It’s a single build. It’s not bad data, but it’s not nearly enough to settle the debate or prove anything really.
Bingo !

You're putting together a low-budget pile of crap with whatever you can scrounge around and get and be satisfied with it and that's what you want. 318 is looking for 2 and 1/2 seconds of performance...
He's put the money out for Doug's header's, he's put the money out for aluminum heads, he's put the money out for Mickey Thompson drag radials... do you see the direction that he's going and looking for???... He tries to get to the drag strip as much as he can afford each summer for his enjoyment and fun and progress reports. He has a goal...
In my opinion all these things he's looking to do lineup much more with a solid lifter Cam and adjustable rockers...
As the article link prh posted there's more horsepower to be had..
Wrong.... I'm NOT looking for 2 and 1/2 seconds. I'm looking for 2.5 TENTHS from the cam. Why do I need a solid lift cam to gain 2.5 TENTHS from the broom stick cam i have now????

True, but he also wants a hydraulic cam.. For whatever reason, that's what he wants.

Considering how fast some "stock" cars can go at the track, I doubt the gains of a solid will be what makes or breaks his combo. Even if going solid would net a few more tenths in the 1/4 with only a modest cost impact.
It is NOT true, i am NOT looking for 2 and 1/2 seconds... LOL 2.5 TENTHS from the cam. In case you are unaware, my cam now has .427 lift and 204 @ 050 on the intake size. How much more cam do i need to drop 2.5 tenths? That is where I am, and why I'm looking at FT HD cams.

Last edited:
Did ANYONE even read my post 172 ??? Please RE-READ it slowly!! I'm looking for a slight gain from 4 components to drop a full second total (hopefully i stated). Not trying to run 12 flat on a cam swap.
PLEASE READ post 172

It is NOT true, i am NOT looking for 2 and 1/2 seconds... LOL 2.5 TENTHS from the cam. In case you are unaware, my cam now has .427 lift and 204 @ 050 on the intake size. How much more cam do i need to drop 2.5 tenths? That is where I am, and why I'm looking at FT HD cams.

Anything less than .750 and 265@.050 is a waste! (yes, that's a joke).

I missed jpars typo. I promise I read your post! LOL.

I missed jpars typo, though. I promise I read your post! LOL.
I doubt it was a typo error, though. He reads what he wants as he skims through post and then he responds... LOL :D

I doubt it was a typo error, though. He reads what he wants as he skims through post and then he responds... LOL :D He thinks I'm trying to build a drag car. Truth is, the car has done everything I've asked of it and even more to this point. Now, I would like (hopefully again) to go 12.3's on the 4 components that will be swapped. :)

He just knows that if you went solid you could shave 2.5s instead of 2.5 tenths!
:rofl:

Are you leaving that Poncho motor as is, or is there a planned lifter replacement?

I’d be pretty dissatisfied with 5K rpm.

Many years ago, when we were pretty green about what it took get the stocker motor happy at high rpm...... we played with different cams and lifters.
This is like 25 years ago.
We were running the Hylift Johnson 951R lifters.
The motor was pretty solid at close to 6k.
The problem was, for the gears we had to run, and how much the converter slipped...... the motor needed to turn 6500, and it just wouldn’t do it.
It was hard into float at the top end of every pass.
Beat the crap out of everything.

After a while(several different cams and valve springs) of fighting it we tried some solid lifters on the dyno.
Removed the 951’s, dropped in the solids..... set them to .004 lash....... easily pulled 6600.

We were like, “ah ha........ it’s the lifters”.

Shortly after that we got Joe Shubek to make a set for the Pontiac...... and that was the end of the lifter woes for that thing.

My buddies 350 Poncho stocker runs strong to 7k.
Solid lifters are legal now ;)
Actually he is in the middle of building a 400 with a 671 and a sft cam so it shall be remedied shortly!. I used to run a couple 455s in my 69 lemans with hft's and summit white box lifters and shifted them both at 6k without issues. It's a bummer how parts are now.

And if you’re shifting at 5500 then the Hot Rod article shows there’s pretty much no advantage to a solid, at least in their article comparing only two cams in a single engine.

Did you read the article? Look at the dyno results? That was a 440 running 10.7:1 compression and being spun to over 6k. A 440, spinning more than 6k and over 550 hp. That’s not exactly a mild build is it?

And even still, where did the difference show up? Above 5500 rpm. Below that it was even or the hydraulic was ahead. So, with a 703 he’s gonna be shifting below 6k. Probably right at 5500-5600, like the cams power range suggests. So what is the solid going to do for him there? Nothing. Above that? Sure, advantage solid cam. But that’s not a match to the cam specs he’s planning.

And really, that article compares two cams in only one engine. I mean, props to the writers for actually trying to compare similar cams. But two cams? One engine? That’s hardly definitive. It’s a single build. It’s not bad data, but it’s not nearly enough to settle the debate or prove anything really.
He admits he's never had a tack in the car and absolutely has no idea exactly what RPM he's at.. he just knows the valves are starting to float and it ain't going no faster LOL... I totally agree the lifters were tested in 1 motor under one condition...
Not an ideal comparison for a small block I would think? Wouldn't it make sense to say that the big block gets more of its torque and Power from its actual size as compared to the small block that may tend to want to get it from a higher RPM range?... Which is generally in the solid lifter sweet spot? @318willrun has always been under this constant delusion that every time he does something for the car he's going to gain 2 1/2 tenths..
And as I've been saying till I'm blue in the face that that works great from 16 seconds down to 13 seconds took from 13 seconds down to 10 seconds that gets a little bit expeditious.. in the latter of the two things get pushed a little further.... Like prh said I don't see it, but I'm sure gonna watch and see... Hope it happens...

By the way RRR, I disagree with J par, I don't think you are putting together a pile of crap. I'm watching your u-tube channel and think you are putting together a low dollar performer, with well thought out parts that will compliment each other. It will be a runner I'm sure!

I missed jpars typo. I promise I read your post! LOL.
Thank you for that credit of the obvious! 318 will take one of my voice command typos if you want to call it that and run with it when possible to poke holes in my credibility... (Not that I have any LOL...)

He admits he's never had a tack in the car and absolutely has no idea exactly what RPM he's at.. he just knows the valves are starting to float and it ain't going no faster LOL... .
My valves floated when??? I think that little dude you post smok'n the peace pipe applies to the man you see in the mirror :D

By the way RRR, I disagree with J par, I don't think you are putting together a pile of crap. I'm watching your u-tube channel and think you are putting together a low dollar performer, with well thought out parts that will compliment each other. It will be a runner I'm sure!

Thanks, it's ok. All I've ever given him was compliments on his build and his go get it attitude. He can have whatever opinion of me he wants.

I was just busting his seeds I didn't even know that he listen to anything I said anyways LOL..
You guys on yourself glorifying you boob channels.. lol.. it's bad enough we all talked about what we're doing and show some pictures and stuff and help each other learn but to drone on and on talking about our red white and blue slippers and so forth LOL I can only take a couple minutes of it.. running brushes through an empty block!?... is there a You boob channel where I can watch paint dry?...
I'm one of the first ones to go to you boob for a how to do it clip but to listen to someone drone on about themselves and their stuff gets boring quick for me...
When it boils down to it I hope triple R builds a motor that makes him happy as that will make me happy...

I was just busting his seeds I didn't even know that he listen to anything I said anyways LOL..
You guys on yourself glorifying you boob channels.. lol.. it's bad enough we all talked about what we're doing and show some pictures and stuff and help each other learn but to drone on and on talking about our red white and blue slippers and so forth LOL I can only take a couple minutes of it.. running brushes through an empty block!?... is there a You boob channel where I can watch paint dry?...
I'm one of the first ones to go to you boob for a how to do it clip but to listen to someone drone on about themselves and their stuff gets boring quick for me...
When it boils down to it I hope triple R builds a motor that makes him happy as that will make me happy...
you have A.D.D

Oh yeh....... if anyone noticed......
In the hyd vs solid article.......

While the peak to peak difference was 30hp.......

At 5900rpm....... the difference was over 80hp.

Now....... i’d think that a SB with aluminum heads ought to be able to make use of an additional big chunk of HP at 5900........ but...... maybe not.

Now....... i’d think that a SB with aluminum heads ought to be able to make use of an additional big chunk of HP at 5900........ but...... maybe not.

I guess that all depends on "what" you're doing.

Tapping in to your experience.... My question to you (as your customer per say) is this:
What is your recommendation on the mildest cam, the smoothest cam, the least aggressive cam that you think would net 2.5 tenths. In other words, from 13.13 to 12.88. By the markings, here is my current cam
Crane PowerMax Cam and Lifter Kits 693902

Sure.
If you’re planning on using the motor to power an irrigation pump....... it probably won’t be of any benefit.

-
Back