M-1 single plane intake on a 440 [ not a stroker ].

-

Bewy

Reaction score
Thought I would start a new thread rather than hijack the TM7 thread.

Has anybody run the M1 single plane on a 440? I know there are probably 'magazine' tests but I am more interested in personal experiences.

This is going on a street driven/performance 440. I know there might be better intakes out there but the owner has the M1 & wants to use it.

How did it perform? Any other intakes run on the same engine for comparison?

Thanks.

I dynoed the M1 and Eldelbrock Victor about 25 minutes apart on my 500" 440. Both Intakes were with in 2 or 3 numbers of each other, tq and hp from 2000 to 6500 rpm.The M1 did better until 4500 then the Victor took over.
The M1 is a good intake and a I would not hesitate to use, it in fact the Victor for what it cost was a disappointment. I expected a large power gain and it wasn't there...
I hope this helps

I've used a few M1 single plane manifolds and if the owner has/wants to use one I would not argue.

One benefit of the M1 over a Victor in a regular door car is the M1 has the carb pad angle corrected for the engine tilt, so the carb sits level.
The Victor has the carb pad parallel to the crank.

^^^ Those guys are smarter than me. My thought would be it depends on the setup and how much low speed / part throttle driving you do and if that matters.Converter,gears,etc.

Thanks for the replies. Would still welcome other responses.
I am thinking of making a spacer, also called a 'Turtle' for the plenum floor to soak up some plenum volume. This engine will not see the upper rpm range that this intake is capable of, so idea is try & shift some of the unneeded top end power to the lower end.
Thoughts, ideas? Anybody tried it?

I had it on two different 440s the first was a low compression, smaller mec. cam that made over 500 foot pounds of torque at 2500 rpm.

I have an M1 on a stock stroke 440 engine with Trick flow 240 heads and a comp cams x284xs I believe 520/541…244/252…..1.6 rockers with a Holley 950. I have innovate a/f sensor in both collectors and the A/F ration is very even on both sides. This engine has 10.5 compression and is very Street friendly. I had this engine in my 69 Dart with Indy ez heads and a slightly larger cam, but with 1.5 rocker and it ran a best of 10.74, now in a 66 Coronet 500 that has to weigh around 4000 pounds with driver and it has ran 11.55, very consistent 11.60s. I had the same innovate a/f setup on the Dart with a 512 Indy eZ heads and Indy 440 dominator manifold with a 1050 and the a/f ratio from side to side varied significantly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Would still welcome other responses.
I am thinking of making a spacer, also called a 'Turtle' for the plenum floor to soak up some plenum volume. This engine will not see the upper rpm range that this intake is capable of, so idea is try & shift some of the unneeded top end power to the lower end.
Thoughts, ideas? Anybody tried it?

not on an m1 , but I put a turtle , (bought from jegs) in a weiand team G , got the runner flow down to around 25ish or less, which is excellant for that intake ,
(read hiughs engines intake tests) , they are terrible in stock form . Seat of the pants , cant tell any diff. between it and a debuggard victor on my 505 .

I have an M1 on a stock stroke 440 engine with Trick flow 240 heads and a comp cams x284xs I believe 520/541…244/252…..1.6 rockers with a Holley 950. I have innovate a/f sensor in both collectors and the A/F ration is very even on both sides. This engine has 10.5 compression and is very Street friendly. I had this engine in my 69 Dart with Indy ez heads and a slightly larger cam, but with 1.5 rocker and it ran a best of 10.74, now in a 66 Coronet 500 that has to weigh around 4000 pounds with driver and it has ran 11.55, very consistent 11.60s. I had the same innovate a/f setup on the Dart with a 512 Indy eZ heads and Indy 440 dominator manifold with a 1050 and the a/f ratio from side to side varied significantly.

out of curiosity , what rear gears were in all of them ??

out of curiosity , what rear gears were in all of them ??
The Dart has a Dana S track with 4.10 gears a 3.15. 60/15 tires around 29 inches in Diameter, it ran 9.89 shifting at about 6,200 and going through the lights at 6,300 we backed it off to do 10.1. Thats with a 512 in it now when the 440 stock stroke engine was in it it had 3.91 gears and did 10.74.The Coronet 500 has a Ford 8.8 with 3.73 gears 275x60/15 tires at 28 inches in diameter. We have made no attempt to lighten the car I shift at 5,800 to 6,000 rpm and it goes through the lights at 5,900 at a consistent 11.60 it has no roll bar and a very nice original bucket seat interior so we aren’t going to try to go any faster. The a/f gauge read 12.9 on both sides last Weds with a DA of around 1700… turbo action 10 inch Med. convert… 117 mph

Last edited:
My current racer is a 1978 Dodge Challenger, with a 440. Engine is a stock forged crank, with Eagle rods and forged pistons, with a .509 hydraulic purple shaft. July 4th weekend it run 11.11, in the heat of the day and 119.6 mph. TM7 was in it when I got the car and I was lucky enough to get a new M1 from Indy CH, just last year. The carb I run is 750 Holley based, Nyutten 925 cfm, that I had built for another car 25 years ago. No other changes but the intake got me 1.5 mph.

SST, thanks for that. Impressive numbers!
Which heads & what diff ratio?

Running the small chamber Edelbrock heads, bolted on straight out of the box. Friends that I got the car from are NSS racers and used the 10.5 x 33. Guess what tire our car has? With the tall tire 4.88 works pretty well.

-
Back