m/c pushrod removal

-

65ChargerDart

65ChargerDart
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed a Wilwood disc brake conversion in my 65 Dart & ran all new lines with a GM proportioning valve. I 've been using a rebuilt disk brake m/c from a '72 Dart but it sits so close to the exhaust and gets so hot that it leaks around the top seal so I'm installing a Mopar Perfromance 15/16 m/c w/ heat shield. The MP adjustable pushrod can't be adjusted short enough to work so I'm going to use the old pushrod... problem is I can't get it out of the m/c. I put a new rubber bushing in when I installed it in the '72 Dart m/c and it works too well! Any suggestions for removing it? I'm ready to pull the plunger out and cut the damn thing out of the plunger unless somebody has a better idea.

How about a little bit of wd40. When I pulled the old one out of the single pot master from mine I just pulled real hard while twisting the rod around and round to cut thru the rubber. If that doesn't work, pull the rod and piston and heat it with a torch and it will melt the rubber away inside. Depends on if you want to keep the master.

Yea, the rod came out fairly easliy from my original single pot m/c too... I guess the rubber bushing was old and deteriorated. Good idea about heating the cylinder to burn the rubber out. I may try that.

Thanks,

Jim

Well try it this way and let me know how it works. bolt it back on the firewall and to the pedal and pull HARD on the brake pedal. A little lube wouldn t hurt for the bushing though.

-
Back