M/T are here

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well they came this morning :mrgreen:will post pics when they go on but not now its too hot out:protest:, only bummer I got hit with an extra 63 bucks for border fess did not see that coming,so much for using USPO to save on shipping.

Well , what do you think ? You like ? Sorry they slammed you just to cross an imaginary line on the ground .

The 415 was just in case they got damage in route that how i ended up with the 63 dollars they ding me lol now if they had been 50 dollars than it would of cast me no more than 10 bucks.Tater safe than sorry.

Wow ... I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and have to say that sucks Snake.

When I ship parts to Canada, I am required to fill out a Customs form. The form asks for the value of the contents in U.S. dollars, and has a separate entry for the amount of insurance on the parcel. The amount of insurance is a matter that I leave up to my customer, but I state in my 'shipping email' that I recommend insuring it for an amount that will cover not only the full amount of my bill but also the cost of the parts themselves on the open market in the event the customer has to replace them from scratch so he or she is not out anything in the event the box gets run over by a forklift or something and is destroyed.

I have asked members in the past (when these kinds of "outrageous shipping costs" threads come up) how I as a business owner can help defray my customers' costs and expenses but have never heard a peep from anybody, nor has anyone bothered to share with me after the fact that they got hit at the border with some tax or fee that I wasn't aware of.

I am sick to my stomach that this happened to you and know from our emails that money is a big concern for you following your stroke and the fact you have been out of work for awhile.

As a restorer and enthusiast myself, I try especially hard to keep my customers' costs and expenses to an absolute minimum -- probably a lot more so than other companies involved in the automotive venue -- because I know myself that what you don't spend on a particular part can be spent on your car elsewhere.

Your box was insured for $200 (about half of what it really should have been insured for in my opinion), but that was your call. Again, please accept my apologies for the unexpected border fee ... it was beyond my control.

If anyone from Canada can explain to me how I can help to avoid such border fees in the future and help my customers to save as much money as they can without being dishonest on the stated value or compromising the speed of shipment by obvious "red flags" on the form, I'd love to hear it!

Again, I'm deeply sorry. I know that's the last thing you and Cindy needed right now. :-(

NO .... that cant be true ... they dinged for nearly 50 dollars extra for shipping ... from US to Canada .. THAT IS WHAT I kept on telling NON believers on this thread awhile back.... BUT some people no everything .. and they thought i screwed the seller ... ????????? and the sold part was 400+... Sorry to hear that you USPS charged you to much ?
Waiting to see MT installed ...

One way is to have the package shipped to a US border town and drive down to get it.
Another way is to figure out how to customs-clear it yourself at the point-of-entry into Canada.

I have done the first thing.... when I go down to the US I stay for several days...then you can bring back like $800 worth of goods, duty and tax free.

NO worries what is done is done live and learn.

Yours isn't my first shipment to The Great White North by any means and will no doubt not be the last either -- living with it is what you're willing to do (thanks for understanding) but I still want to LEARN how to do it to where you guys won't have to come up with more money!!!

I just wish someone would have told me about these fees before so it wouldn't have been such a surprise.

I KNOW from prior threads never to use UPS or FedEx when I ship across the border because of their outrageous "brokerage fees." Apparently though the US Postal Service isn't much better from what I'm reading here. If I did something wrong on the Customs form I need to know ... I can't fix a problem if I don't know it exists.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

Leanna there is no way around it. When the parcel is insured for a certain amount, we the customer here in Canada run the risk of paying extra once it lands here. With that being said, there is a possibility of re-imbursement as you provided a "service". In all reality as purty as the v/c's are, they arent a new product.
I myself have called Canada Customs when I recieved a part.(sorry cant remember what the issue was). But I did get a cheque from them.
Also when I spoke on the phone to Canada Customs the lady told me its luck of the draw. $20 and under its not worth their while, anything above that is fair game and they spin the wheel.

Another sidenote...great member here Badsport recieved a shipment for Dad n I from Comp cams. He reshipped to Dad and insured it for what it was worth $500 and Dad had to pick up at the post office....not a frickin cent in extra taxes/fees!! Go figure....

Leanna there is no way around it. When the parcel is insured for a certain amount, we the customer here in Canada run the risk of paying extra once it lands here. With that being said, there is a possibility of re-imbursement as you provided a "service". In all reality as purty as the v/c's are, they arent a new product.
I myself have called Canada Customs when I recieved a part.(sorry cant remember what the issue was). But I did get a cheque from them.
Also when I spoke on the phone to Canada Customs the lady told me its luck of the draw. $20 and under its not worth their while, anything above that is fair game and they spin the wheel.

Another sidenote...great member here Badsport recieved a shipment for Dad n I from Comp cams. He reshipped to Dad and insured it for what it was worth $500 and Dad had to pick up at the post office....not a frickin cent in extra taxes/fees!! Go figure....

Steve, THANK YOU. That's the closest thing I've gotten to a real answer. Maybe it's not so much the stated value of the contents but what it's classified as on the form that brings out the calculators?? There is no box on the form for a "Service" ... so I get to choose from

Gift
Documents
Merchandise
Returned Goods
Commercial Sample
Humanitarian Donation
Dangerous Goods
Other

I've always checked the "Merchandise" one because it's the closest thing to car parts. Maybe "Returned Goods" is a better or safer option? But admittedly most of my Canadian customers' parts were purchased raw here in the U.S. and their sellers sent them straight to me to work up.

Everything in my shipment has to be itemized, weighed and valued (either determined by me or my customer) even down to the number of business cards I toss in there. I have no intentions to lie -- as Memike and Tony Fields would say, that's not how I roll -- or get my company in any hot water, but exorbitant unexpected fees are not acceptable to me either.

In looking through a few copies of the Customs Forms I've filled out, I notice a box that I DON'T fill out called the "SDR Value" that has a number in it apparently filled in by the postal clerk when I bring the box to them. Gdrill's valve covers were shipped to him yesterday (as timing would have it); my Insured Amount of $500 has an SDR Value right next to it now of $325.10. WTH is an SDR Value??

I sure wish one of our former Postal employee members used to work in the Customs division and could shed some real light on this, especially since the number of international PSC customers has REALLY expanded the last couple of years to Australia, Sweden and Germany. They're probably used to spending too much to deal with stateside vendors but if there's something I can do as a business owner to minimize or eliminate those expenses altogether I'd love to know what it is. Just "living with it" is not an acceptable option to me, and I know it isn't to you guys either.

They did it on purpose you valued it for 200 but when you left they put 400 instead.:wack: what else got to get screwed somehow lol.

-
Back