magnum 360/ A-833 4 speed combo. Not fitting together.

-

Bratpack

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting my 4 speed tranny to bolt to my new magnum 360 crate motor. I seem to remember reading that you may need to cut the input shaft shorter on the tranny to fit magnum motors because the depth is shallower on magnum then on LA engines. Has anyone out there done this combo or can confirm my problem?

I can't confirm this, but just measure the depth of the crank from the trans face on the bellhousing them measure the length of the input shaft on your trans. This will tell you what you will have to do.

if the crank in the motor isn't drilled all the way then yes you may have to trim the input shaft. how far away is the trans from fitting flush on the bell ??

I just put my original 65 Cuda trans up to my 360 crate and I had to cut the input shaft by an 1/8 of an inch, even had to get a special pilot bushing as the hole in the crank was larger than an old style bushing.

i had the same problem with my 360 crate engine.it seems the folks at mopar only drilled the crank to fit the roller bearing type pilot bearing which happens to be the same size as a torque converter and yes you must cut about 1/2 off the tip of your input shaft in order to give you enough room.
terry

Bratpack said:
I am having trouble getting my 4 speed tranny to bolt to my new magnum 360 crate motor. I seem to remember reading that you may need to cut the input shaft shorter on the tranny to fit magnum motors because the depth is shallower on magnum then on LA engines. Has anyone out there done this combo or can confirm my problem?

I have done this swap.
All you need is the crank bushing from an '89 Dakota, with a V-6 5 speed (generic application) and it'll bolt up fine, NO CUTTING OF THE INPUT SHOULD BE NECESSARY, but your situation may be different, as you're dealing with Mopar "Performance".
I installed a '73 833 behind a PRODUCTION '93 360 Magnum last year, using a '90 D-150 V-6 bellhousing, and it all basically bolted right together.
Of course, I had to find the right bearing retainer to mate the 2, but it wasn't so bad.

Mark.

-
Back