Magnum 5.9 lifter removal

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I've got a 72 duster with a magnum 360. I'm getting ready to do a cam and lifter swap in the car, upon doing some research, I read a couple threads that said you had to remove the heads to get the lifters out because they were too long to slide out of the valley. The car currently has a Comp Cam 264HR-12 and Comp Cam lifters. I was planning on swapping over to Hughes. However if I have to remove the heads, then that may change my game plan a little bit.

I just did a Comp Cam, lifter & timing chain on my 95 Dakota 2 months ago. It has the 5.2l V8 Magnum motor. Pretty much the same motor. I did NOT have to remove the heads to do this. It is a roller cam & lifter motor also & the lifters can be removed. It is a close fit, between the top of the lifter bores & the head gaskets, but they do come out. My motor has over 100,000 miles on it & had no problems with lifters stuck in their bores though. I had no problems after put it back together either.

Thanks for the insight! That’s the news I was hoping to hear!

Glad I could clear this up for you. I read the same thing, but was also told that it didn't need to be done. Now I know first hand. I guess I would have pulled the heads if the lifters wouldn't come out, but they did & it certainly woke my motor up some. Good luck. P.S. Clean all the gasket surfaces good, but first, loosen ALL the pan bolts & don't forget to remove the ones attaching it to the timing cover, then carefully pry the pan down a bit from the timing cover. I was careful with mine & I haven't had a leaking problem & didn't have to replace the pan gasket.

Thanks, if I come across any issues, I may send you a message. At least I have a couple winter projects to keep me busy.

I will answer any questions I can. I did mine in my driveway when it was nice out.

But the question was to remove Comp Cam lifters, not stock ones. Lifter body may be longer. I guess he will find out.

Did not consider that. I hope they aren't longer. They shouldn't be.

-
Back