magnum exhaust manifolds?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Anyone here running magnum manifolds on their LA engine? How well do they flow? (compared to a set of headers)

How is fitment and everything in the engine bay? Anyone have pictures?

I'm thinking about running these instead of headers.....im getting sick of header problems and need a reliable exhaust system.

Opinions?

i dont have a need to run magnum manifolds,,

but i have often wondered if they would fit,,,even if you had to do some modifing,, it my be worth it,, magnum manifolds are way cheaper then any header for an early A,, and im sure out flow any stock A body manifold,,,

I have a set I was going to use on my 73 Dart 318 power steering. The outlets are not in a good spot at all. I think the pass side would work but the drivers side will hit the steering box and the dump is way in the back and will be an issue with steering and shift linkage. Will be retty close to firewall as well. They look like they would flow decent but there just isn't that much difference between stock 318 to make it worth the work IMO.

Try looking at some Grand Cherokee manifolds for the LH side. They look like the outlet might work on an A-Body. Let me know, I've been curious about this for a while. There's nice pics on Egag. Just search for 5.2 grand cherokee lh manifold.

I have a set I was going to use on my 73 Dart 318 power steering. The outlets are not in a good spot at all. I think the pass side would work but the drivers side will hit the steering box and the dump is way in the back and will be an issue with steering and shift linkage. Will be retty close to firewall as well. They look like they would flow decent but there just isn't that much difference between stock 318 to make it worth the work IMO.

do you meen interfere with column shift linakge?? i cant picture it hittign the steering box,,,but i dont have a A in front of me with a factory box

I talked to a guy who did the dodge dakota magnum manifolds in his a body..With power steering there will be a fair amount of grinding. The outlet positions were not a problem, a tight fit. He did not have to seriously clearance anything except grinding for the p/s. I was considering them as well but have decided to go with the Cheap hedmans as I am trying to squueze every horse possible out of it. . I have also heard that the early 91-92 magnum manifolds are 2 1/2 versus the later 2 1/4 and will flow flow almost as well as a shorty set of headers. I was unable to find a set of the 2 1/2's. I also remember seeing a dyno test that showed the 340 hi po manifolds only flowed 11 horsepower more than std a body manifolds.

Stay tuned, the magnum exhaust manifolds from a Durango are enroute from HemiEd and I will be heavily documenting their mods and installation. Im hoping there are a lot of guys who will be helped by this. Im sure that I'm not the only one who is interested in inexpensive high flow factory exhaust manifolds that are readily available either new or used that fit with minimum modifications for a fraction of the price of 340 manifolds. If it is true that 340 manifolds flow only well enough to make 11 more horse power on the dyno than standard v8 manifolds(a body manifolds) then I might not be all that far off by saying that magnum manifolds flow almost as well as 340 manifolds

Supposedly the drivers side 92-93 magnum manifold, 2 1/8 id, is better than the 68-71 "A" body 340 manifold and the 68-70 Passenger side "A" 340 flows better than the 92-93 magnum manifold. I have never liked headers for the hassles. May try a set of magnums on a "67" Cuda next week, as I'll be on vacation in South Dakota. I'll start on the Drivers side. I'll take pictures.

As soon as I get back from being hitched, I to will be looking into trying this.....

-
Back