magnum heads on a 416 stroker

-

pat d

Reaction score
need some input here i have a 340 stroked to a 416 and i want to bolt on the stock efi/heads from a 5.9what do i need and what cam do i use ????

You need the proper style and length pushrods and lifters that can oil through the pushrod. Though most lifters for the MoPars are this way now, actual proper lifters for most MoPars are not that way from the factory.

Your cam question, what cam, is a cam that fit the intended use of the build. It can be any style cam.
But! Keep in mind, if you use an LA cam, the lift must be divided by the LA rocker ratio (1.5) and then multiplied by the magnum ratio (1.6) for the new lift.

You ten must get the proper springs for the new higher lifting cam and check clearances. AKA, no vale spring bind.

Also keep in mind that if you use a Magnum engine cam, it does not have a long snout for the use of a fuel pump eccentric.

If it were I doing this, it would be ether the RHS style head (seek "Magnumopar" here@ FABO)
or a ported Edelbrock Magnum head. (Hughesengines.com)

Just curious, what year is this 5.9?
5.9 is 00 out of a dakota r/t. i want to use the complete top end from the 5.9 on my 340 stroker short block to put in the dakota . the motor was going into my duster but now i changed course

What is the compression ratio of your piston with a 63cc chamber? Should check that first as if its too high, you will want a larger cam to keep the dynamic compression under control. Most 340 pistons were set up for 68-70 cc or 65 at smallest due to the fact that most 340 heads were large chamber design. Need a lot more info about rest of build to recommend a cam.

What is the compression ratio of your piston with a 63cc chamber? Should check that first as if its too high, you will want a larger cam to keep the dynamic compression under control. Most 340 pistons were set up for 68-70 cc or 65 at smallest due to the fact that most 340 heads were large chamber design. Ni bought a stroker kit eed a lot more info about rest of build to recommend a cam.i boouht a 416 kit from scatt with flat tops 65cc heads (pro comp) its about 10.6 .this waswith a la style head

dont know what i just did .wanted to post without the quotes but idont know what buttons i needed to push

Going from 10.6 with 65cc to 63 cc will put you at 10.75 at least.... without getting out my calculator. This will require a cam in the range of [email protected]" to get it back into the 10 range. I can do the math tomorrow when I am back in the office.

another question will a LA stroker crank 4.00 work in a 5.2 magnum block

If you are putting magnum heads on a 416 stroker your gonna need some pretty deep dishes on the Pistons. With flat tops and 58cc magnum heads and a 4 inch stroke your talking a lot of compression.

stroker kit was for a 340 i think 30 over bore i call scat and hughes today they both said crank and rods will work in the mag 5.2 just need new pistons.the reason for all these questions, i bought a dak r/t 5.9 has a rod knock and i thought the la stuff would bolt up, so a 392 instead of a 416 it is just didnt want to waste a stroker kit its so hard to let go of parts you save up for ever. thanks everyone for chiming in .

If you are putting magnum heads on a 416 stroker your gonna need some pretty deep dishes on the Pistons. With flat tops and 58cc magnum heads and a 4 inch stroke your talking a lot of compression.
Magnum heads are 63cc's but still small enough to watch your comp.

i have a 340 30 over 4'' forged scat crank rods icon pistons that was going into my duster ,but i picked up a dakota 5.9 r/t for cheap because of rod knock so i was going to try to drop the 340 into it. did not know it was that diff, so im going to buy a 5.2 from junk yard and drop that 4'' crank into it with new pistons hence 390-392 ??

You are correct, the Edelbrocks are 58cc but Magnums have always been 63cc although some measure 62cc. EQ's are a "factory replacment" and they are 63cc

If your willing to regrind a can for performance the pre magnum roller motors had the appropriate snout for the mechanical fuel pump. I know because I bought one years ago for a build that has yet to go down.

-
Back