magnum or not

-

93toyota

Reaction score
I got a 92 360 and I am having a hard time convincing everyone what it is. How do you distinguish the two?

Also the bolts holding the intake on will be vertical verse being at an angle but entering the intake surface of the head perpendicular.

The 318 (5.2) magnum came out in 92 the 360 (5.9) came out a year latter.

eventhough it has a hyd roller cam? What it the max lift i can go without bottoming out the valves with stock heads?

They started putting roller cams in the LS engines in the late 80's.

What do you mean by bottoming out valves?

The stock valve springs can not accomodate much more lift than stock before they bind and any performance cam is going to have more aggressive profiles than stock so you really should be looking at new springs that are recomended for the cam you plan to use.

The next thing you have to worry about is the spring retainer bottoming out on the top of the valve guide. Not sure on the LA head but this happens a little past .525" of lift on the magnum head. It is easy enought to correct by machining down the guide.

Stock pistons are far enough down in the cylinder that any lift that would be practical for the air flow capabilites of the head won't hit. If you are zero decking if you are going over .525 lift you should check and verify the clearance.

For sure you will need new springs for the magnum head. There are not many choices for springs that do not require the spring seat to be machined. The MP Magnum R/T spring is good for .525 lift. That spring will not work with the stock magnum spring retainers. You can get retainers from MP but a much cheaper alternative is the retainer used on the 2.2/2.5 mopar 4cyl. I got all of them from the junk yard and they gave them to me. NOTE: you will need to use the locks from the magnum heads becuse the 2.2/2.5 have different groove configurations.

The .484 lift cam will be .516 with the magnum 1.6 rockers so I would check to make sure the retainer does not come in contact with the valve guide seal before buttoning it up.

You cant run a LA cam in a magnum block without oiling mods. Magnums oil threw the pushrods un like LA,s

You didnt say the block was not a magnum block. You said you werent using Magnum heads. Were just trying to help.

That is a transitional engine. Pre magnum-semi post LA :confused: It has LA heads with a roller cam. But the lifters are suppose to be different than a magnum. I have one too. Haven't done anything with it.

-
Back