Magnum slug weight vs...

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a high performance replacement slug at the same weight as a ‘03 5.9 Magnum?

And what is the weight of the above slug?

The ICON flat top piston with valve notches that IMM specified in their magazine build as stock magnum weight requiring no balancing with stock rods has an advertised weight of 530 grams. I was planning to use these myself and check the weight of the originals, but I have not done it yet, and have not purchased the pistons yet.

Thanks Bob. I SO missed this published info!!!!
What is the ICON number
What magazine article?
When was it published?

He used IC 741 530 gram is the piston weight...pin weight another 125 grams or so...got some in the box ....
I bought a set of SP H655CP .020 for a 360 magnum rebuilt. Those weight around 480 plus pin...I would have to weight them again...forgot what they are.

Thanks Tony. Pin weight differences I didn’t consider.
I’d like to just swap slugs around on the OE rods and reinstall them into the block. Very low miles.

I saw other pistons advertised at 470 and 480 grams like 70aarcuda listed. Now I am motivated to get a stock piston out and weigh it. Maybe this weekend.

I saw other pistons advertised at 470 and 480 grams like 70aarcuda listed. Now I am motivated to get a stock piston out and weigh it. Maybe this weekend.
Be careful comparing piston and pin weights ONLY! What allows the Icon and KB pistons to be used is the Piston/Pin/Ring weights...must include the ring weight to keep the bobweight the same as OEM. If you use a piston/pin combo that has lighter rings, the balance can be off by 15g or more making balancing necessary.

SP H655CP .020 piston weight 488 pin weight 140 total 628

These use the smaller metric ring and they are .020.

Be careful comparing piston and pin weights ONLY! What allows the Icon and KB pistons to be used is the Piston/Pin/Ring weights...must include the ring weight to keep the bobweight the same as OEM. If you use a piston/pin combo that has lighter rings, the balance can be off by 15g or more making balancing necessary.
Would ether slug be a HyperU?

Would ether slug be a HyperU?
If you use the Icon forged flat top, you have to get the lighter pin...they offer it. The Hyperuetectic piston is a dish, and requires the heads to be milled alot to get compression up to 9.8:1...but it's the same weight as the stock piston/pin/rings...

Just took a factory stock one apart, standard 4" bore, and weighed it. This one, for the record, is 1999 model year 5.9 Magnum. Piston weighed 469 grams, pin was 135 grams, and ring set was 39 grams. I don't have any 2003 model year parts to test for the original question, but this should get us close enough to be dangerous. I plan to use the Icon forged pistons, but don't have them yet and don't know the weight of the ring set for them.

LOL, thank you very much Bob. And I think you’re right just enough to be dangerous. I think I’m going to skip this whole thing and just go straight to the stroker. Thanks to everyone for your help.

If you need the weight on a ring set ...let me know... i got alot of 1/6 ring sizes and a few 5/64 .....

I would like to know what a set of rings for the IC741 weighs, if it's not too much trouble. Looks like they are 1/16" compression and 3/16" oil, and I don't have any to check.

yes...can do with 4.03 ...4.04 ..4.06 bore....and even 4.07 bore...got them all covered right now...LOL

1/16 1 and 2 ring with 3/16 oil....

Not very relevant for the topic, but maybe interesting to put down;

When I build my LA360, I compared listed weights of the KB107's and stock pistons and the result was interesting.
Even more interesting because the PO didn't think the engine would need a balance job with the KB's...

listed 360 piston weights:
Stock 0.030" - 584 + 154 pin (gram)
KB107 0.030” - 502 + 132 pin (gram)

That's a 104 gram weight difference!

These are all 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring sets

4.035 48 grams
4.045 51 grams
4.075 54 grams

Did not have a set of 4.06 rings...and these are file to fit. All are Total Seal Classic

Same as OP....I am searching for aftermarket high compression (10:1 ish), STD bore pistons to use in my 2001 Magnum 360. I do not want to have to have the assembly balanced.
Street car only and around 375HP/400TQ. 1200-5500 RPM.
Looking for some real world (i've used these and it works) information to Rumbles original question. I see that he decided to go stroker and I am finding conflicting slug weights out there. This could be due to different bore diameters. I would also like to know what the +/- percentage or weight that is still acceptable without rebalance.
Here is what I have found in the forums. Sorry for the format....

"My 360 Magnum info: Pin 135 gr & Piston 469 gr = 604 gr total
KB107: Pin 118 gr & Piston 492 gr = 610 gr total
H655CP stock Magnum replacement piston: Pin 128 & piston 488 = 628 gr total (Weighed by 70aarcuda;"

70aarcuda?? "Just took a factory stock one apart, standard 4" bore, and weighed it. This one, for the record, is 1999 model year 5.9 Magnum. Piston weighed 469 grams, pin was 135 grams, and ring set was 39 grams. I don't have any 2003 model year parts to test for the original question, but this should get us close enough to be dangerous. I plan to use the Icon forged pistons, but don't have them yet and don't know the weight of the ring set for them."

From Car Craft Magnum build shown above .."He used ICON 741 530 gram is the piston weight...pin weight another 125 grams or so." No balance needed?!?!?!

From ICON website: IC741.STD 530g/118g

From KB website: KB107STD 524g/132g

From what I can tell from Federal Mogul website, Sealed Power/Silvolite only manufactures 9.0:1 pistons for Magnum.
Have I missed any other brands?

Thanks!!!!

Same as OP....I am searching for aftermarket high compression (10:1 ish), STD bore pistons to use in my 2001 Magnum 360. I do not want to have to have the assembly balanced.
Street car only and around 375HP/400TQ. 1200-5500 RPM.
Looking for some real world (i've used these and it works) information to Rumbles original question. I see that he decided to go stroker and I am finding conflicting slug weights out there. This could be due to different bore diameters. I would also like to know what the +/- percentage or weight that is still acceptable without rebalance.
Here is what I have found in the forums. Sorry for the format....

"My 360 Magnum info: Pin 135 gr & Piston 469 gr = 604 gr total
KB107: Pin 118 gr & Piston 492 gr = 610 gr total
H655CP stock Magnum replacement piston: Pin 128 & piston 488 = 628 gr total (Weighed by 70aarcuda;"

70aarcuda?? "Just took a factory stock one apart, standard 4" bore, and weighed it. This one, for the record, is 1999 model year 5.9 Magnum. Piston weighed 469 grams, pin was 135 grams, and ring set was 39 grams. I don't have any 2003 model year parts to test for the original question, but this should get us close enough to be dangerous. I plan to use the Icon forged pistons, but don't have them yet and don't know the weight of the ring set for them."

From Car Craft Magnum build shown above .."He used ICON 741 530 gram is the piston weight...pin weight another 125 grams or so." No balance needed?!?!?!

From ICON website: IC741.STD 530g/118g

From KB website: KB107STD 524g/132g

From what I can tell from Federal Mogul website, Sealed Power/Silvolite only manufactures 9.0:1 pistons for Magnum.
Have I missed any other brands?

Thanks!!!!
Following

Id like to revive this thread as i am looking into putting a new motor together for my dakota. I have read through the 5.9 magnum sledgehammer article and see that they claim the ic741 is a weight matched drop in piston for a 5.9 mag requiring no balancing. When you look at the listed weights of that piston vs stock mag stuff the numbers dont match up. Can anybody shed some light as to what was done to make this happen or am i missing something?

Id like to revive this thread as i am looking into putting a new motor together for my dakota. I have read through the 5.9 magnum sledgehammer article and see that they claim the ic741 is a weight matched drop in piston for a 5.9 mag requiring no balancing. When you look at the listed weights of that piston vs stock mag stuff the numbers dont match up. Can anybody shed some light as to what was done to make this happen or am i missing something?
If you use the Icon forged flat top, you have to get the lighter pin...they offer it. The Hyperuetectic piston is a dish, and requires the heads to be milled alot to get compression up to 9.8:1...but it's the same weight as the stock piston/pin/rings...

I built a clone of the sledgehammer engine with the following exceptions. I used wiseco piston kit( pts527a3) and scat rods(2-icr26123-2124). Got a really good buy on both. And used my existing m1 single plane. Engine is in my 85 d150 and i couldnt be happier. I did have my assembly balanced. Didnt require any mallory. Cost on the balance was under $200. I provided the weights of of all the individual parts. Naylor performance in Dalzell ,SC did the balance work. I purchased the heads from ou812.

Also, i mocked up the engine in the 4 corners. My deck height was off from end to end. I wanted to end up with a .040 squish, so my block was decked to put the pistons at .01 down. I used a .039 compressed felpro headgasket. After talking with brian, and to keep my engine pump 93 friendly, it was decided to install the cam 4 degrees retarded to get xranking compression down. With @ 700 miles on it now, it pushes my gauge to 175psi. Halifoxhops did a distributor for me and its fantastic. Im running a homebuilt hei for ignition

-
Back