Magnum Swap Issues

-

BodyBag

Reaction score
So I've been combing the forums and found answers to most of my questions but I've also got some issues that I can't figure out and haven't found anything talking about.

The quick back story was I bought the car with a blown slant 6 and the 360 magnum and 904 transmission came with the car. I bought the motor mount conversion kit and have them installed. Right now my issues are all steering related. First the back of the column is right up against the header and if the original power steering box will fit back in, it's going to be right up against the header. The second issue is the steering linkage the connects the left and right wheel. I have swapped to the V8 cross linkage but the headers are smack dab in the way. Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

steering column.jpg

under car 2.jpg

under car.jpg

A you sure they are a-body headers? Are you using a 72-down K-Frame or 73-up? If 72 down you might be able to rotate the engine to the passenger side? All headers are tight with PS.

Those look like generic $50 swap meet speed bump scraper headers.

magnumswaps.com

has LOTS of answers

As far as the K member goes, I have no idea if it is stock or swapped. The headers are headman headers pn#79080. I'll definitely check out the link, I appreciate the replies.

Since yours is an Early A, the K frame is irrelevant- they were the same for slant or LA. Only the steering centerlink changed. Are you sure those are EARLY A headers? Later ('67-'76) A body headers won't fit. Or any other header other than Early A. Or as abdywgn said, truck headers.

I don't remember where I saw those would fit. I just initiated the return with summit and the ones that fit should be on the way

I didn't catch it was an early A or in that forum. I think Doug's and TTI are your only option other than some manifolds. Unless the Spitfires or whatever they were called are still around.

Your going to need to shim the engine mount 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to help with the linkage issue. Even with the v8 link its gonna contact the pan at full lock to the left n right. Can't help with the header I'm running layson, Not everyone likes them but I had zero fitment issues and easy to install..
Good luck with your swap build...

-
Back