magnum valve train questions

-

lotharamc

Reaction score
My 17 year old son just got a 2003 5.9 magnum and wants to use a Howard's cam with .555 lift at the valve. I know the stock springs wont work and the retainer to valve guide will need to be addressed. Is there anythng else that won't work? Rockers for instance...

Does a machine shop need to work on the retainer/guide clearance or can I grind and deburr?

This project is completely funded by my son so we are trying to cut as many corners as we can but keeping it reliable.

Any thoughts on the valve train in general considering the amount of lift?

the hughes 1199 spring/retainer/lock kit will get you there as far as lift and not machining the spring pocket. however, above .500 lift is where you run into problems on the magnum heads with guide to retainer clearance.

*sometimes* you're in the clear, sometimes not but with .555 lift i'd doubt it, so absolutely check and adjust as necessary. personally, i'd have a machine shop undertake the work.

the rockers *might* need some clearance ground on the inside to clear the top of the spring/retainer. but i'd call that a perfect excuse to upgrade to roller rockers...

the hughes 1199 spring/retainer/lock kit will get you there as far as lift and not machining the spring pocket. however, above .500 lift is where you run into problems on the magnum heads with guide to retainer clearance.

*sometimes* you're in the clear, sometimes not but with .555 lift i'd doubt it, so absolutely check and adjust as necessary. personally, i'd have a machine shop undertake the work.

the rockers *might* need some clearance ground on the inside to clear the top of the spring/retainer. but i'd call that a perfect excuse to upgrade to roller rockers...

If you are going to modify the guides, then buy the proper tool.

You can use it with a good hand drill but if you snag it your wrists may have an issue.

-
Back