magnum valve train questions

-
I dont know.... can a regrind achieve increased duration and lift? I've never gotten one. Do they grind down the base circle thus requiring longer pushrods?

I dont know.... can a regrind achieve increased duration and lift? I've never gotten one. Do they grind down the base circle thus requiring longer pushrods?
in a word, yes.

also, don't choose a cam based on sound. only buffoons, ignoramuses and burger cruisers buy **** cuz "it's got that chop".

make an informed decision and select a cam based on the complete package you're building. do you have enough compression, stall and gear to support that cam? heck, do you even have enough head, intake and carb?

you're looking at a nominal 9:1 static compression ratio stock, what's the dynamic going to be with a cam like that? what's your cranking compression? if that thing's got miles and never seen a rebuild you're probably looking at something in the 140~150's, what will that support?

i'm really not trying to be a jerk, but asking you to think about the system as a whole. yeah, big lift, long duration cams sound rad, and yeah they work great on race cars. where you're wringing out that peaky narrow power band for 12 to 14 seconds at a time, and the rest of the time you're left with something that eats gas and has poor driveability and bad street manners.

People build for what they want. That is the case here. IF performanceis all we want we wouldn't be working on a 50 year old car. A camry is faster than almost all of our old cars. Sound IS important. it is significant part of being excited about seeing one of our cars in the wild. When a 17 yearold wants a meaner sounding cam than dads it is synonymous with the excitement and the experience of driving/riding in something with power. When is the last time you've seen a quiet dart that wasn't a slant? To further illustrate the point, we all know electric cars are faster than almost everything. We especially, but even non gearheads are kinda meh when we see one. Why? New hellcats are fast too. They make cool noises.

Even with my model A with the "original" flat 4 sound is a significant part of its driving experience. To put a 350 in it would make the experience more "normal" and boring.

That being said, ALL facets of the build are being addressed. Dynamic CR, quench, matched parts for flow, etc... The donor magnum is a low milage one but everythingthat will be reused will be checked and verified.

All performanve parts are on the list to aquire and that list is fluid. The column that ends at the bottom right corner has the final $ and if its too high the list changes. As it would if it were my build and as it was for my Javelin build. (You guys think mopar parts are scarce...)

People build for what they want. That is the case here. IF performanceis all we want we wouldn't be working on a 50 year old car. A camry is faster than almost all of our old cars. Sound IS important. it is significant part of being excited about seeing one of our cars in the wild. When a 17 yearold wants a meaner sounding cam than dads it is synonymous with the excitement and the experience of driving/riding in something with power. When is the last time you've seen a quiet dart that wasn't a slant? To further illustrate the point, we all know electric cars are faster than almost everything. We especially, but even non gearheads are kinda meh when we see one. Why? New hellcats are fast too. They make cool noises.

Even with my model A with the "original" flat 4 sound is a significant part of its driving experience. To put a 350 in it would make the experience more "normal" and boring.

That being said, ALL facets of the build are being addressed. Dynamic CR, quench, matched parts for flow, etc... The donor magnum is a low milage one but everythingthat will be reused will be checked and verified.

All performanve parts are on the list to aquire and that list is fluid. The column that ends at the bottom right corner has the final $ and if its too high the list changes. As it would if it were my build and as it was for my Javelin build. (You guys think mopar parts are scarce...)

A fast Camry? That’s news to me.

Low 14 second quarter mile. Not bad for granny's 4dr
True, but that A-body w/a cammed magnum like that should be knocking down low 12's w/o breaking a sweat, unless you're spinning your wheels or the tune sucks...

Edit... should have said the camry thing for most of our cars as stock. Did chrysler even have a 14 second car in the mid 70s?

Anyway, that's a tangent from the topic of valvetrain business. I've been unsuccessful at getting a phone call in to the hughes tech people so far and haven't heard back from an email. I'll report back with the news.

Edit... should have said the camry thing for most of our cars as stock. Did chrysler even have a 14 second car in the mid 70s?

Anyway, that's a tangent from the topic of valvetrain business. I've been unsuccessful at getting a phone call in to the hughes tech people so far and haven't heard back from an email. I'll report back with the news.
Hughes, Good Luck

Yes they did.

Jeebuzz.........
You ain't kiddin. ....and before I go on, I don't mean any of this in a condescending or smartass way, but rather with all the car guy tough love I know how to convey.

This stuff.......just like the cam degreeing thread is grammar school geometry. It's so simple, yet people make it incredibly difficult due to either their lack of understanding, or trying to cut corners to save a dollar. Real simple. 1). Call hughes. See what hardware works with THEIR stuff. 2). Take it all to a competent machine shop and let them set your heads up. 3). Go pick your heads up, bolt them on and have fun.

And before you go on the attack, if there's anyone here who relates to a limited budget, it's me. There are some corners you don't cut......not without drastic consequences.

-
Back