Magnum vs la timing chain cover

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
So, i know they are different.
However, haven't been able to find the information im looking for.

I want to run a magnum serpentine belt system on my 360. The whole 9 yards.

It APPEARS that the magnum water pump shares the same mounting pattern as the la. The timing cover has some extra material behind the pump.

But, will the magnum water pump bolt on and work properly with the la timing chain cover? Id rather not have to pull the motor and change out my custom built kevco pan if i don't have to.

I dont think so...you make the call
imag2860-jpg.jpg

Just run the magnum front cover, it has the bosses you need to mount the serpentine system

IIRC, the tensioner for the serpentine setup bolts to bosses on the Magnum head that aren't on the LA head. I'm sure something could be fabricated to make a tensioner of some sort work.

Mounting pattern is not same. They are similar, but different, as seen in pishta's photo. The gaskets are different.
If you are running Magnum style heads, swap the timing cover and the rest is easy.
If you are running LA heads, just stick with V-belts or go with an aftermarket serpentine system. Someone on this forum previously suggested CVF racing, I think it was.

So it definitely seems im going to have to go custom or aftermarket serpentine. Have indy ta heads and would rather not lose them.

I keep tossing v belts, and tge accessory drive on this car has always been trouble ....

So it definitely seems im going to have to go custom or aftermarket serpentine. Have indy ta heads and would rather not lose them.

I keep tossing v belts, and tge accessory drive on this car has always been trouble ....
And quality set of machined pulleys would probably fix your issues

When i get to my computer, ill post a picture of the current setup in a new thread.
Gotta be a way to reduce the belt throwing....
I remember seeing a pic of it, non factory alternator and mount if I recall

If I recall...caution because the Magnum water pump turns in the opposite direction than the older LA engines did. Serpentine pulley arrangements may/ will be designed for this, specific to the engine.
By the way...just so you know a 340/360 double roller timing chain and sprockets fit and work within the magnum timing cover. as well the windage tray 340/360 also works but longer main cap bolts are required ( not much longer, I used the 340/360 main cap bolts never an issue).

Well, crap.
Motor and trans are coming out due to clutch explosion.
What holes/issues with la heada and magnum serpentine belt system will i run into?

Will a magnum timing chain cover work with an la o il pan? Time to make big changes is apparently upn me.....

I'll include a picture of passenger front view of my current Magnum project so you can see the alternator bracket and tensioner bracket.
The orange timing cover in pishta's photo shows the extra mounting bosses that are needed for factory Magnum serpentine setup using Magnum alternator bracket.
I never checked yet to see what it would take to bolt those items to LA heads, or if it's worth the trouble.
The LA oil pan definitely works with a Magnum timing cover, using LA gaskets. Some guys report using the Magnum gasket with a little extra silicone in the corners, but I never tried that yet.
IMG_20180808_210700.jpg

you can run a skateboard wheel on a 5/16 stud to keep the V-belt slack side in check.

Are you sure the LA oil pan works? The Magnum has a one piece gasket and the timing cover and rear seal are different on the LA to Magnum...my experiance

The oil pan itself is the main difference because LA pans have an extra step that LA gaskets fill. The timing cover side is just a corner on both styles, so an LA gasket on an LA pan sits nicely on an LA timing cover or on a Magnum timing cover with a small dab of silicone in the corners.
The photo I posted is a Magnum engine, Magnum timing cover, LA oil pan, with LA oil pan gasket.

-
Back