Magnum wiring help

-

MoparAGoGo

Reaction score
I am working on installing a 5.2 and 46rh out of a 95 ram in my 67. I have the harness and computer.
I have looked all over and can't seem to find the info I need.

Can anyone tell me what I need specifically to make it run?

Was planning on using the car wiring for the starter. And plan to install all the factory 67 guage senders along with the factory magnum sensors.
But I have a few questions..

Do I need an oxygen sesnor?

What year speed sensor also has the cable? Found...

Which wires power the computer / sensors?

What wires can be removed?

what about the evap system?

How did you run a fuel pump? lincoln ls ? Van? Truck?

My motor is pulled and want to get this done and on the road by the end of april.. Going to be my daily..
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You need both the O2 and speed sensors, for the factory computer

"Evap system"? There is none in your car so I'm confused. What are you doing for fuel/ pump/ regulator? The original 67 tank is vented by a separate tube in the filler tube. That should not change, so vent is OK

The Evap from the mag tank is notan issue. The original mag fuel system should be single line, with the regulator at the tank/ pump

Wiring? You need to find the factory manual FOR THAT YEAR. It is frustrating, that more guys have not posted modded wiring on the net so "we" can find it LOL

I have done the Google more times than I can remember.
I always end up with information for wrong year, non-injection. No overdrive..
Or use all the wiring from the truck.. front to back.
Lots of people mention that this is a simple system. And only a few wires are needed.

I may be able to figure it out, but if someone already knows.. it would probably save me a few weeks.. as I usually work every other weekend, 12 on 2 off..
Does not leave much time.. but those 2 days I like to get some work done on my stuff..

I am not sure what pump to run. I read on here from the fellow that made the harnesses, to run the Lincoln ls pump with the Dakota regulated fuel rail.

I have also read that it is best to use the factory in tank pump. .

I would consider either.. gas tank has got to come out regardless.

There was also mention that the ram van pump is shorter than the truck pump..

I asked about evap because there was talk of it a few places but nothing in detail.

I really don't know much about modern cars..
But it can't be that difficult.. right..

Last edited:
Is your motor/harness from an OBDI or OBDII system? I have read that 95 was a transition year from 1 to 2, but don't know that as fact. There is a member here, 393 Foureyedfox, or something to that effect who can make OBDI harnesses to work in old car. He uses factory harnesses, and converts them. I am putting a 98 model 5.9 in my old beater truck, and plan on doing my own harness. I haven't put forth a lot of effort yet as far as research, but others have said it takes 5 or 6 wires to make the OBDII system I have to work in an older vehicle. You can bet that I will share every ounce of info when I figure it out! I offered to pay someone who WAS in the Magnum conversion business for a wiring schematic, but he wasn't interested in making money for something that simple! His harnesses were more profitable.....until he went out of business! Good luck to you, and try looking at threads in this forum about 4 or 5 pages back. Magnum swaps are kind of old news, and all of the best info here is buried several pages back.

There are many threads here with same question. If you go down about 15 threads there is one titled "wiring" that listed the main component wiring you need to keep. www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/wiring.397283/

It does not matter if you have an OBD1 or OBD2 donor system, you still need to keep the same sensors and outputs. Buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual so you can identify correct wire positions and colors in connectors. You need power and ground for your controller, and everything needed for your application, and I would recommend wiring in a data link connector so if anything goes wrong you can read codes and data. Also, a Magnum engine Powertrain Control Module with one big connector is OBD1 and three smaller connectors is OBD2.

When you lay out the complete harness on the Magnum engine, remove the wrapping and plastic covering. Use good masking tape to mark individual wires at each component you are keeping, such as a throttle position sensor. Then, since covering is removed, physically trace that wire back to the PCM connector (some go into splices with other wires before going to PCM), and then mark that end with masking tape. Use the wiring diagrams in the manual to identify power and ground wires, and outputs such as fuel pump relay controls at PCM connector, and mark them with tape as well. Don't cut anything until you connect these circuits and verify it still starts and runs. If using a newer OBD2 PCM without connecting transmission control wiring, you will have trouble codes setting, but the engine controls still work fine.

I should also add that if you plan to keep the engine completely stock, the factory OBD1 PCM is fine. If you plan to do any upgrades, consider getting a PCM and engine wiring harness from a truck in the junkyard, and then make sure you get the VIN from the truck that PCM came out of. Now you can setup your car with a PCM that can be SCT tuned for your upgrades. The OBD2 PCM and harness can be used to run the older OBD1 engine, just by setting it up as an OBD2 sensor arrangement, which is basically the same. The engine does not care what runs it.

I suggest you check the transmission forum and read sticky started by gdonovan. Bottom line... transmission swap ain't easy but the 46RH you want to use is really big. You'd be better off with a 42RH.

Is your motor/harness from an OBDI or OBDII system? I have read that 95 was a transition year from 1 to 2, but don't know that as fact. There is a member here, 393 Foureyedfox, or something to that effect who can make OBDI harnesses to work in old car. He uses factory harnesses, and converts them. I am putting a 98 model 5.9 in my old beater truck, and plan on doing my own harness. I haven't put forth a lot of effort yet as far as research, but others have said it takes 5 or 6 wires to make the OBDII system I have to work in an older vehicle. You can bet that I will share every ounce of info when I figure it out! I offered to pay someone who WAS in the Magnum conversion business for a wiring schematic, but he wasn't interested in making money for something that simple! His harnesses were more profitable.....until he went out of business! Good luck to you, and try looking at threads in this forum about 4 or 5 pages back. Magnum swaps are kind of old news, and all of the best info here is buried several pages back.
Hey JD, were you able to get the wiring all worked out and get the engine running? I’m planning to install the mpfi back onto the 5.9 in my Duster. Thanks

I have had so much else to do, I haven’t had time to work on it. I will post what I figure out on the wiring when I do, and if you get to yours first....please do the same.

I just used the pinout for the plug(s) and kept what I need to make the motor run and removed anything I didn't. Pretty easy to figure out, if you do it one pin at a time. Sometimes it took looking at the circuit to figure out if I needed it, but wasn't too bad.

And I have found several FSM online and for the ones I couldn't I paid a 6 month fee to AllDataDIY and printed everything I thought I would need after the subscription runs out. It was only like $15 or so and while it doesn't lay it out like the FSM, the diagrams are taken from it so it gave me everything I needed.

Make sure you have a pinout for your year PCM, too. I started hacking my '98 harness for an '01 PCM and discovered that some of the pins moved around and there were changes to how it controls things like the fuel pump relay and ASD relay. Wouldn't recommend a bastardized setup like I have, but even with a matching harness and PCM, make sure you have pinouts that match. This would be why I wouldn't want to come up with a diagram for someone, they changed some much year to year that it would be an exercise in frustration.

My 5.9 and all associated wiring/pcm came out of a 98 3500 straight drive truck. Getting a subscription to Alldata sounds like a good idea that I may try when I get time to try and work on it. A friend of mine has a garage, and uses Alldata in his business....so I may pay him to print out the wiring for a 98 3500 Dodge truck for me.

-
Back