-
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Contact seller
I need a manual steering column shaft. The end of mine where the nut goes on is stripped, beyond repair.

I have a 70 Dart and my lockout plate for the key is in fine shape, so I only need the shaft.

we saw this before. someone beat the crap out of the shaft trying to remove the steering wheel. I think that is 7/16 fine thread. It was suggested he file away all the threads, down close to 3/8 diameter and run a 3/8 NF die over it. I don't know why that wouldn't work. Keep the filings and chips out of the column/signal switch, fix it in the car.

we saw this before. someone beat the crap out of the shaft trying to remove the steering wheel. I think that is 7/16 fine thread. It was suggested he file away all the threads, down close to 3/8 diameter and run a 3/8 NF die over it. I don't know why that wouldn't work. Keep the filings and chips out of the column/signal switch, fix it in the car.

Thanks. From what I have found its 1/2-20 fine thread. I don't have a die that big, but figured it just be easier to replace shaft. I'm rebuilding column anyway

Thanks. From what I have found its 1/2-20 fine thread. I don't have a die that big, but figured it just be easier to replace shaft. I'm rebuilding column anyway
OK, minimum diameter of 1/2 is threads is 7/16 or close enough. File the 1/2 threads away. Whole box of taps and dies @ harbor freight are less than cost of shipping a shaft.

OK, minimum diameter of 1/2 is threads is 7/16 or close enough. File the 1/2 threads away. Whole box of taps and dies @ harbor freight are less than cost of shipping a shaft.

Ok, you got me. Is there a certain thread file I should be looking for or just literally file the threads away and re cut them?

Ok, you got me. Is there a certain thread file I should be looking for or just literally file the threads away and re cut them?
Just common flat file. Roundish strokes removing all evidence of 1/2 inch threads puts you real close to 7/16 diameter. Chamfel the top edge for starting a 7/16 thread.

Dont forget the cutting oil, Rapid Tap or the less expensive penX40 type cutting oil.

I have a Manual steering column from a 71 Dart that I havent been able to sell whole. So I'd be willing to take it apart and sell you the shaft from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back