Manual Valve Bodies.. Please teach me.. So confused...

-

Kingofthehill

Reaction score
i dont kow why i can not figure this out myself.. maybe im tired..

I want to run a manual valve body.. I hear great things about the Cheetah MVB..

question is wich one do i need? I have been online now for about 4 hours trying to figure this out and my brain is turning into mush... i bet its stupid simple too :scratch:

if anyone could just tell me the info i need, that would be great.. i dont know the year, i dont knwo if its Fwd or Rev

what i can supply you with is...

its a 68 barracuda 440/727...

Thanks

JOe

reverse patterns are better in design and shifting, but you need to also upgrade other areas. They generally apply the bands, clutches etc with better timing etc. You can get a decent normal pattern too for the street, but they are a little funky in the timing of the pressures.

Such as a billet low reverse piston kit, maybe a 4.2 intermediate lever, and better cooling fluid capacity increase etc. Also a good bolt in sprag is a good idea too, hate to see you blow up the 727 and cut a leg off. Seen it happen on a burnout that got out of hand. A blanket is a good idea too.

Is your tranny pretty new as far as the rest of the insides go?

I would say, you do want low band apply. And a Forward manual goes P-R-N-3-2-1, a reverse goes P-R-N-1-2-3

Low band apply is a must along with a billet servo kit. I got mine from Andrews Racing Transmissions about a year ago. Chris was very easy to deal with and very helpfull when I rebuilt the tranny myself.

Jack

You dont always need to mod the insides, but it's a good idea to at least freshen the trans when adding a MVB. The low band apply is a great peice. But, there are literally thousands running around without them. If you are the type to control your actions, a std Cheeta rev pattern MVB should just screw right in and work. To do it right, I would rebuild the trans with a billet steel forward clutch retainer (what actually explodes in catastrophic failures), a bolt in sprague kit (stock ones can fail resulting in mentionned explosion), billet servo kits for kickdown and low/reverse, a 4.2 kickdown lever, 4 pinion planetaries, and kevlar frictions and bands, and a deep MP pan. With a fresh pump, you wont break that trans should you want to go faster later either.

-
Back