[WANTED] Master cylinder rebuild kit

-

Professor Fate

Push the button, Max...
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a Raybestos MK697, Napa UP697, or some other equivalent; or info on where a kit is available.
This is for a '73 and up 15/16" master. Seems to be out of stock everywhere.
May be interested in a known good factory master, but shipping could be a concern. Not interested in the current crop of replacement masters, they're not the same.
Edit: To those who are wondering, yes, it's for the factory power disc brakes. That was the original application for the 15/16 master.
Thanks
Tim

Last edited:
I believe they have all left that market. I had the same issue with a drum/drum master cylinder from 1969 used on everything. What I learned is that Dorman seems to have picked up the old Raybestos kits.... if you can figure out which one. The one I bought has a tag in the kit (not the Dorman number) that WAS the old Raybestos MK part number.....

Doorman has a MC... now to find the kit....

Dorman Products - M80266

I am not finding a kit for it through Doorman unfortunately. May have to buy the Doorman MC and strip the guts like Dana67Dart said. I rebuilt 2 and put on the shelf a few years ago for my daughters Duster... looks like I was just in time.

Last edited:
Power or manual brakes?
Power. From the factory, the 15/16 units were for power disc brakes; although people use them all the time for "better feel" on manual systems, which were 1 1/32 from the factory.

Last edited:
I sent Doorman a question about if they have a rebuild kit for the MC they offer and for the MK697 replacement.

Is this the disk brake master cylinder? That number seems familiar.
Yes.
Raybestos even still lists them on their site, then refers you to their dealer network to actually find one... I couldn't.
Napa lists them, but won't let you order one. Comes up as "Unavailable" when the counter jockey punches it in.

I sent Doorman a question about if they have a rebuild kit for the MC they offer and for the MK697 replacement.
The parts have to be out there, they just need to offer them. Otherwise what would they be using to sell "rebuilt" masters?
Beginning to look like cannibalizing one is going to be my best option...

MK 697 has been discontinued for many years.
Why not use the original Chrysler rebuild kit : 3744423.
Here's one on eBay.

Not sure if you tried them yet Professor but, Rock Auto may have what you need. I've got a few things from them for old Mopars that were old stock, made in USA parts, & they were pretty inexpensive also. Here is a discount code if you go that route but, it expires on the 20th of this month. 275917968236752373.

The parts have to be out there, they just need to offer them. Otherwise what would they be using to sell "rebuilt" masters?
Beginning to look like cannibalizing one is going to be my best option...
Those will start drying up next.

Here's one on eBay.

I agree with using NOS parts when you can find them. The problem with NOS rubber parts is deterioration. With things like rings, bearings and engine parts, you're normally safe, unless they went down with the Titanic or some such. Rubber parts though, sometimes you take a chance. I'm getting ready to replace the Trunnion joint boot on Vixen for the ......ahem......third time. I have a new aftermarket boot. I thought about spending $60 on an NOS boot, but how do I know it's not a rotten POS since rubber begins to deteriorate AS SOON AS it is made? I spent a bit more on this boot this time from a different online source. All of them so far have split in short order. You go into any big box store and even parts for new cars are total chinkesium CRAP. At least they can get parts, I guess.

Here's one on eBay.

[/URL][/URL]
That's what I meant by "equivalent"- Thanks! I just confirmed that is the correct # for the 15/16 PDB master (didn't specify in the listing, only the year range), and not the 1 1/32 bore.
Being NOS, I worry about the rubber seals and O rings being dried out after 50 years, but I kinda got little choice. Decent price, though. Bought them both, but I'm going to leave this thread open in case there's more info to be gleaned out there- if that's okay with the mods. @toolmanmike ? (or maybe remove the "Wanted" banner and shift it over to the brakes section?)

Last edited:
Mister Optimism! Sadly, I agree... :(
Truthfully, I usually really am, but I cannot help but be a realist about all this mess. Remember the covid shipping backup off the California coast that started in 2019? That's when all this nonsense began. Some things were already hard to get. But that's right about the time our 5 x 4 wheels dried up at Wheel Vintiques. Dammit all.

That's what I meant by "equivalent"- Thanks! I just confirmed that is the correct # for the 15/16 PDB master (didn't specify in the listing, only the year range), and not the 1 1/32 bore.
Being NOS, I worry about the rubber seals and O rings being dried out after 50 years, but I kinda got little choice. Decent price, though. Bought them both, but I'm going to leave this thread open in case there's more info to be gleaned out there- if that's okay with the mods. @toolmanmike ?

My experience has been 50 year old NOS rubber is better than 50 week old Chinese rubber. Just saying.

While you can never guarantee a new or nos part is good right out of the box, personally have not had a problem with new old stock Chrysler master cylinder rebuild kits.
Has anyone tried this product when rebuilding hydraulic parts.

While you can never guarantee a new or nos part is good right out of the box, personally have not had a problem with new old stock Chrysler master cylinder rebuild kits.
Has anyone tried this product when rebuilding hydraulic parts.

[/URL]
Never personally tried it. I usually just use liberal amounts of fresh brake fluid for honing and assembly, flushing it in between stages with lots of brake cleaner.

-
Back