Matching cam to converter

-

dartgt73

Reaction score
My new cam is on the way, along with my reworked heads next week. I need to get a new converter but I'm not sure which way to go. I picked a Crower cam 271/284 dur.; .486/.496 lift for the 383. I want this to be mainly for the street but it will definatly be going down the track a some. The 8 3/4 has 3.23s which are going to have to stay there this year, then I'll swap up to 3.91s. How much stall is enough or too much?

dartgt73 said:
My new cam is on the way, along with my reworked heads next week. I need to get a new converter but I'm not sure which way to go. I picked a Crower cam 271/284 dur.; .486/.496 lift for the 383. I want this to be mainly for the street but it will definatly be going down the track a some. The 8 3/4 has 3.23s which are going to have to stay there this year, then I'll swap up to 3.91s. How much stall is enough or too much?

I had a 68 Charger that had a 383 and a Mopar Purple shaft .484/.484 cam and I installed a 2800 stall converter and it did really well. It would idle in gear and didn't want to "lurk" at stop lights. When I punched it off the line it would shoot out of hole like a bullet. I was told by friend that I better install a drive shaft loop for safety reasons. LOL! With that cam that you have chose which is close to the cam I was running I believe a 2800 or 3000 stall will be fine for your application.

dartgt73 said:
Will 3000 be too much for the street? The cam profile says the powerband is 1800-4500 w/6k redline.

I don't think that really matters cause when you punch it the motor will go quickly to a higher rpm that is in between that range. Now with the 2800 stall that I had normal driving wasn't affected that much. What I mean by that is when you take off in normal fashion the motor will not whine up and then start moving the car as much as a higher stall than a 2800 would. I've seen cars that seem to have to much stall and it would whine up pretty high before the car would start moving but punch it and the car would hook like crazy. I personally would not go with a stall higher than 3000. But you have to take in consideration other factors as well such as your gearing, car weight, torque of motor I really believe. I would contact Dynamic Converters and tell them every little detail about your car and the over all usage as well. And make sure you tell them that your are going to go with the 3.91 gearing later. Their stuff in not cheap but you don't want a cheap converter anyways because it is as important as any other part of car such as transmission,motor,rear end etc. They have great converters and they can build one just for your application. Contact them I would.
http://www.dynamicconverters.com/

-
Back