mc plunge rod

-

JimD

Reaction score
I bought a dual master cylinder from rock auto raybestos mc 36221. What do I do with the plunge rod, do I take the insert on the new mc out, and replace with the old , or do I have to get a new rod, I'm stuck help, thanks Jim.

Unbolt your master cylinder from the 4 studs on the firewall. Leave the nuts on the end of studs put a spacer (approx 1/2")between your master cylinder and the firewall. Remove your brake light switch and then pull the brake pedal towards you. This should pull the push rod out of the back of the master cylinder. On some original masters there is also a spring and grommet that will prevent removing the rod all the way until the master is off the car.

Make sure you remove the brake light switch before you pull the brake pedal or you can damage your switch.

IMHO I think the question is "when is the rod correct". If this is the question then loosen the master cylinder bolts and with a flashlight looking in the empty MC ports check that the valve does not move when tighting the nuts and no excessive free play. When changing to non-stock parts this must get checked to avoid problems and sometimes just due to many PO. again IMHO

-
Back