Mechanical temp gauge line routing

-

remytherat

Reaction score
I'm going to install a mechanical water gauge since all I currently have is the stock gauge which has been saying all sorts of nonsense. Where should I route the line through the firewall? I am planning on mounting the gauge under the dash below the ashtray.

Are you using the one with capillary tube?
We went aftermarket in our 67 cuda, but electrical. Ran the wire to the bulkhead in factory spots. Left factory gauge in dash and mounted a triple gauge set below factory ac diffuser.

What you may find is capillary bulb may not fit, depending on which intake. My electrical one is pretty accurate. I have a temp gun I use to verify temps. Beauty of electrical is using oem style sender...around $10.
This was my plan although I have not bought the gauge yet so I am still considering electrical. Mechanical seemed more accurate and reliable?

Smart

If you are running an automatic, you can run it through the oblong firewall hole for the clutch pushrod. You may have to look around, there are ARE smaller pipe thread adapters FOR SOME GAUGES (the special fitting is not standard) You need to mount it low, meaning BELOW the thermostat. Do you run a heater? I have thought about (on a SB Mopar) drilling and tapping the intake where it blanks the rear coolant port on the head, BUT THAT IS FAIRLY thin material. If you try that be careful. I would not go larger than 3/8 pipe which is nominal 5/8 OD

WHAT ENGINE ARE YOU RUNNING? SB? B/RB? Studebaker flathead six? Rolls Merlin V12?

Small block, auto trans. I do not have a heater, so I could actually mount it to the unused port on the water pump (if i can get the rusted plug out of there)

Small block, auto trans. I do not have a heater, so I could actually mount it to the unused port on the water pump (if i can get the rusted plug out of there)
THIS is the CORRECT ANSWER, but make certain it is the one below the stat. HEAT the plug with a torch, even if all you have is LPG.

I would simply run a good quality electric gauge. Or another idea is to find out why your factory gauge does not work right. That's all I have in Vixen and it works fine.

i'd just run a decent electric gauge and pop it thru at the bulk head in one of the unused terminals.

If you choose to go with a mechanical gauge I have a new # 3432 that I could not use - message if interested. New - April this year - sitting on the shelf. Mechanical gauge will read temp after key is off which is pretty nice.
AutoMeter Sport-Comp Analog Gauges 3432

AutoMeter Sport-Comp Analog Gauges 3432

Gauge, Sport-Comp, Water Temperature, 120-240 Degrees F, 2 5/8 in., Analog, Mechanical, Each
Part Number: ATM-3432
4.43 out of 5 stars ( 30 )
In Stock (more than 10 available)

Estimated Ship Date: Today

• Free Shipping
  • Mfr. Rebate
  • On Sale
$116.99
$129.99
(Save $13.00)

Add To Cart

-