Mega what??

-

GotDart

Reaction score
MegaSquirt!!! MegaSquirt Fuel injection, to be exact. If you have never heard of it, check it out here... http://www.megasquirt.info/

This is the fuel injection system I am going to use on my 416 stroker motor. I spent some time last weekend soldering my controller board, relay board and stimulator together. I am happy to say it fired up on the stimulator and ran with no problems. 8)

Megasquirt, it's what's for dinner.
ms2.jpg

Chips and solder, yuuuummmy!
ms3.jpg

And it even lights up!
ms4.jpg

The MS controller as shown here only controls fuel. It has inputs for manifold vacuum, coolant temp, throttle position, incoming air temp, engine rpm, and exhaust oxygen. Based on these inputs, and the Volumetric Efficiency information you program into it, it calculates the precise amount of fuel to inject for the target fuel/air ratio. There are add-ons that can be used to implement electronic spark control, but you either need an electronic distributor or a crankshaft sensor to implement them.

MegaSquirt is a totally Do-It-Yourself system. You buy the circuit board, microprocessor and all the piece parts to assemble it. You are also on your own to fabricate the fuel system, including mounting the fuel injectors, throttle bodies, and all the required sensors, plus wiring it all up. You are also on your own for tuning. And for that, a wide-band O2 meter is a nice thing to have. That's my next project to build.

My plan is to build up the whole system and install this on the 318 that is in my Dart now. I want to get all the bugs worked out before the 416 gets installed. The only difference between the 318 and the 416 will be the tuning.

yah thats pretty awsome, maybe not for people who prefer bolt on stuff, but id be willing to rig it together to save some money. how much does it go for?

BadAssDodge said:
yah thats pretty awsome, maybe not for people who prefer bolt on stuff, but id be willing to rig it together to save some money. how much does it go for?

I got lazy and bought the kit from a place called Glen's Garage. For the MS controller, with the optional Relay board and Stimulator, it was about $250. All the parts in the kit are separated into bags and labeled. It was a cinch to assemble, but then I was an Electronics Technician for 15 years. You can just get the PCB and pre-programmed processor then order all the other parts yourself from someplace like Digi-Key and save a little bit.

The rest of the system depends on what you want to do. The MS will work either TBI or MPI, so the total cost depends on how you want to configure it and whether you scrounge used parts or buy brand new stuff. I'm going Multi-Port, and will use all new parts.

So here is what my setup will look like.

I have a set of 8 Lucas 009 injectors ($35x8) that flow 42.5lbs/hr which should easily support 550hp at 80% duty cycle. These will be going into MSD fuel injector pockets ($65) that are going to be epoxied into the TM5 intake manifold. The fuel rail will come from Ross Machine, but I have not ordered it yet. Top off the intake with a Holley 1000cfm throttle body ($465).

For fuel pump, filters and regulator, I am probably going to use Aeromotive. I am figuring about $1000 for the fuel system. This includes a brand new steel replacement fuel tank with a sump added and all the line to hook it up. The engine sensors will come from the local auto parts store. I will scrounge the connectors at the junk yard, but do the wiring harness myself.

So all total, I should have less than $2500 into it. You could easily build up a complete system for less than $1000 with all used parts.

Looks cool if you got the jack. A $2500 fuel system just isn't for everybody. That's more than I've got in my whole engine.

I love to build things also, especially electronic things but that's alot of cash.

What kind of electronics teching did you do? I started out doing TV's in the early 80's. Bottom dropped out of the market you know with Wal-mart and likes selling them for the price of one average repair. Now I fix forklifts for a living and build my amateur radio equip. for a hobby.

fishy68 said:
Looks cool if you got the jack. A $2500 fuel system just isn't for everybody. That's more than I've got in my whole engine.

I love to build things also, especially electronic things but that's alot of cash.

What kind of electronics teching did you do? I started out doing TV's in the early 80's. Bottom dropped out of the market you know with Wal-mart and likes selling them for the price of one average repair. Now I fix forklifts for a living and build my amateur radio equip. for a hobby.

Yeah, $2500 is a lot, but basically everything that touches gas will be new. And you would spend close to that with a fuel cell, electric pump, custom built race carb, fuel pressure regulator, etc, etc.

I first started out in the oil industry working on siesmic data logging equipment. I've been in the PC business for nearly 19 years. Mostly in design, prototyping and debug. For the last few years I have been primarily doing project management. I sort of miss being in the lab all the time.

LOL... you guys are doing electronically what I built several years ago, but I went mechanical injection. Using Bosch mechanical air flow meters (2) and injectors w/variable pressure regulator, cold start valve and barametric regulator. Mine worked fine but was not as infineately adjustable as yours will be. Only advantage mine had was no OXsensor needed ..lol
Good luck and hope you enjoy using it asmuch as making it (half the fun is making it and making it work )

-
Back