mislead about late model master cylinders???

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
SO, was I mislead??
I thought late master cylinders were aluminum....

I just bought one at the parts store for an 85 5th Ave

but it's not aluminum....
also noticed that an 80-ish has a different # for manual brakes....do I need a manual brake master cylinder???or will the 85 power MC be right??

I have big pattern discs on front and 10x2.5 drums in rear

last....I like the Bendix new MC...it has a larger black reservoir than the Brakebest's white one...what do you think?

All the ones I have seen were aluminum. Did you by the adapter to bolt it up ?

It's a true Mopar lover who rolls his Barracuda into the snow to get a picture of it :D

now now now....
you should know by now that i'm too cheap to buy an adapter.....

i made one, of course.... :thumleft:

maybe it IS aluminum and just looks like cast iron....heh

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=TRQ&mfrpartnumber=M99294&parttype=230&ptset=A

this is the MC i got, except I got it as a "brakebest" from Oreilly

this is the only pic i could find....

also, i learned just now that they didn't have 1 1/32 MCs in aluminum as OEM equipment....

should I go buy a reman aluminum unit??
I know this iron one is definitely an upgrade from the original, but maybe the aluminum will be even better
I found reman ones in manual or power....which do i need??

AH HAH
idiot got me the wrong MC....actually...they had it wrong in the puter at the store....the # on the box is mc39451, and i finally found that # on their site....it's for an 89 Lebaron. It is a 21mm (too small-.826")

What i have found are this 21 mm, a 24mm for the same car (.944---15/16 is .9375), a 1 1/32 for an 85 5th ave, a 7/8 (.875) for the above mentioned Lebaron, an unknown bore part # 99102 (this is for an 80 Volare with manual brakes, and the number for power brakes is the same as the 5th ave), and a 1 1/8 truck MC

I'm thinking either an aluminum remanned (1 1/32)--don't know where i'll get a reservoir though...
or maybe the 24 mm (but i don't know what the travel is)
OR the manual brake Volare MC (don't know any specs on it)

I had one from a Volare, Snagged it when I snagged the disc brakes off ot it. I need to pick another up.

I think it was power. It was about 3 years ago I bought those parts. Maybe some day I'll use them.

You could get Manual disc brakes on them though.

FWIW, The original master cyclinder on my 89 Dakota went bad. It was aluminum just like the one on my 99 Dakota. Went to the local parts store to get a rebuilt, they gave me one made of cast iron. Looked pretty much the same, the plastic reservoir plugged in, the ports were in the same place and the mounting flange was the same. I shrugged my shoulder brought it home and installed it. Was on the truck when I sold a couple of years back.

they made aluminum and cast iron cylinders. it just depends on what the rebuilder has. i ask for an 89 diplomat when i buy mine. be carful if you ask for an 83-89 lebaron, there where fwd (j, a, h-bodies) and rwd (m-j bodies) lebarons at that point. i have never had a problem with pedal pressures on either manual or power brakes, so for me, the diplomat application is the one to get. on a manual setup, it definatly has a firm pedal feel--but i prefer that.

--chad

oh....i thought i updated this......i wound up getting one for an 80 volare with manual brakes.....it's aluminum and works perfectly

-
Back