Missing at high RPM's

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For the last couple weeks my car has been breaking up at high RPM's. I have checked the MSD ignition, the plug wires, changed the fuel pump and plugs and no change. It's almost like it's either electrical or fuel. This has me stumped. It ran perfect before. It's like it runs out of power or something is holding it back. I usually shift at 6200 and sometimes it's hard to get it past 5500 in 3rd gear. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Fred B

is it missing or falling on its face? if its falling on its face its most likely fuel. if its missing its most likely spark. is the dist timed correctly and is it points or elec?

It's a MSD Billet distributor. It seems to fall flat and miss and pick back up slightly. Timing at 34.

Fred B

seems like it could be fuel. Could be too rich. I know when i had my truck after 4000rpm it wouldn't really pull cuz the engine was being flooded with fuel. Also on a old Ferrari 330 12 cylinder on of the carbs afer 5000rpm was just pouring fuel due to a leak at the base of the carb.

easy way to check leaks is get a spray bottle full of water and have engine running. spray water around base of carb and intake and if rpms changes you know you have a leak.

-
Back