Model Car Tips & Advice

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I plan on getting back into model cars after I move. I would like to see and hear your tips and advice from everything from prep work to painting.

The glue is sure different then back in the day as is the same with the paints. It will be hit and miss till you find the right one you can work with.
I got back into the plastics also 5 yrs. ago. The kit prices ani't what they use to be. lol. I just hit the bay and bite the bullit sometimes and pay the price and built it....Got to capture the youth some may.
Theres a link/sight oldpmodelkits.com I belive. This guy has a freaking ton of kits. All kinds.. It will take you a month to see it all. The sight is set up right. I bought from their and he is a straight shooter and will answer your emails.
I will double check the sight a post it if its different..

I just tried that link,it doesn't work. I will check back later. It's a least a good hobby to get into. Thanks

glad to see i am not the only model car nut

I use to be growing up and got married then out of it. Now I have a free time and little money this will give me something to do as a hobby.

a few tips off the top of my head...I always used crazy glue instead of model cement-just a personal preference.
An airbrush beats spray bombs for painting the body (at that scale, thick paint makes things look funny).
And a welding tip drill (the one with actual drill bits) is a great tool for models (drilling exhaust tips out, steering wheel detailing, etc).

a few tips off the top of my head...I always used crazy glue instead of model cement-just a personal preference.
An airbrush beats spray bombs for painting the body (at that scale, thick paint makes things look funny).
And a welding tip drill (the one with actual drill bits) is a great tool for models (drilling exhaust tips out, steering wheel detailing, etc).

Welding tip drill?

I still have about 750 kits for sale . Won't sell a lot of Mopars , but have a lot of other musclecars and trucks ! Let me know what you're looking for .

I still have about 750 kits for sale . Won't sell a lot of Mopars , but have a lot of other musclecars and trucks ! Let me know what you're looking for .
if u want to give away some hit me up .... but for real guys i did talk wit him some time ago his price on them are good just didnt have the cash

heres atip cross stich thread makes gr8 plug wires

Here's a tip from a million years ago if you use thread for plug wires: pull the thread across a candle. The wax will keep the thread from fraying and will look more real (rather than fuzzy).

heres atip cross stich thread makes gr8 plug wires

Here's a tip from a million years ago if you use thread for plug wires: pull the thread across a candle. The wax will keep the thread from fraying and will look more real (rather than fuzzy).

Great Idea, I would not have thought of it.
Do you make boots too or just glue the ends on where they should be?
Also do you use hot candle wax to run the thread through?

-
Back