Montesa Dirt Bikes-Anyone know anything about them?

-

1972Swinger

Reaction score
So my boss at work has this old '70s Montesa dirt bike sitting in a back shop. (I found it by accident.)

He offered to sell it for like 4 or 5 hundred bucks, but it needs some parts. The kickstart lever it missing, it need new cables, and a chain as far as I know.

It does run, another guy at work got it running a while back.

The bike looks really cool, and has been inside its whole life. No rust, no corrosion or anything. Seat is in great condition. Not a tear or scuff in sight.

Does anybody know anything about these bikes? It was made in Spain, and I haven't been able to find a lot on the internet. My boss even has the original owners manual too!

Is this worth trying to pursue? It would be cool to have a dirt bike, and a vintage one to boot. (It is a pre-monotube shock bike.)

Thanks!

Montesa was renowned for their trials bikes, they also raced motocross but weren't nearly as involved in that as trials competition. If its a trials bike, there may still be some used parts out there somewhere. If its a motocross bike, I believe you're going to be in for a very for a long search if you need repairs or replacement items.

Heres some links that might help, good luck !

http://southwestmontesa.com/
http://www.bikez.com/brand/index.php?brand=64
http://www.motorcycle-bike-parts.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/motorcycle_parts.html?l_make=Montesa
http://vintagedirtbikeparts.net/

I had a montesa 125 trials bike back in the day had a lot of fun on that bike along with my yamaha 360. Check out those sites, i'd buy it if you can get parts it's a fun bike.

Wow!! My uncle taught me to ride, at 7 yrs old, on his 125 Montesa. It scared the hell outta me.(yes, I had the coolest uncles) I had to fall over to stop.It would have been about a 1967 model.

VIVA Montesa !!!

Montesa? Wow that really brings back good memories. I ran against those guys back in the day when i rode a Bultaco Pursang 250 at Carlsbad and Saddleback park in SoCal. Ran against the Rickman Matesas also. Fentons, CZ's, Huskys. How about the Hodaka Super rats. That was before the day of the jap bikes when the europeans dominated the sport of Motocross. I also rode a radial finned 400 Maico for a while chasing jack rabbits in the Mojave desert. Screw him down to cheap and buy it. Gotta be fun. Good luck.
Small Block

I once kinda rode a Maico 501 scaired the hell outa me never got it to 4th gear i got off shaking and i was taking it easy, my 360 yamadog was a far cry from that bike but then again i was not a great rider just took it easy and had fun.

I remember all those bikes. I used to own one of these, got a picture of it around here somewhere. damn thing would climb a telephone pole if you could hang on to it !!

Attachments

• ducatiRT450.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 132
Montesa? Wow that really brings back good memories. I ran against those guys back in the day when i rode a Bultaco Pursang 250 at Carlsbad and Saddleback park in SoCal. Ran against the Rickman Mateas also. Fentons, CZ's, Huskys. How about the Hodaka Super rats. That was before the day of the jap bikes when the europeans dominated the sport of Motocross. I also rode a radial finned 400 Maico for a while chasing jack rabbits in the Mojave desert. Screw him down to cheap and buy it. Gotta be fun. Good luck.
Small Block

Same here. I had a Super Rat and my bike buddys had a Husky and a couple Pentons. The Rickmans were really nice and I wanted one.

Okay. So I think I have it narrowed down to a '72 or '73 Cappra model.

It is gray, and closely resembles the one I attached, but the exhaust on my boss' is very different. It runs right up next to the seat and has a heat shield on it. The word "Montesa" is recessed into the tank, and is painted black just like this one. (Somebody slapped a Castrol sticker just under the name on one side.) The number plate is yellow instead of green too.

This thing is just too freakin' cool to let sit in a shop and rot away. :toothy10:

Keep the links coming guys. I really appreciate it!

Buy it! The parts are out there! Good grief you are near the Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio (Mansfield). I travel 5 1/2 hours to get there and it is Acres of used parts. Depending on the condition if it runs. Keep in mind that tires will cost you $150 a chain and sprockets $150 and Cables are about $30-$50 each. Add that to the $500 price and you are at about what you will get if you sell it. You will have to find the person wanting a Montessa also to get your top dollar. If you want to sell. Two years ago the Spaniards were at Mid Ohio and was buying up every Spanish bike they could. (They can't get them over there) I sold a non running 360 Pursang for $800 to them. But it was complete and looked good. I love Bikes as much as my Mopars!

Oh and if you get it looking like the picture above you can get $2000 and up.

-
Back