Mopar Action SB head article

-

dusterdon

Reaction score
Very interesting article about smallblock cylinder heads in the new Mopar action. If you were even thinking about getting a new set of heads, I'd read this first. A surprise winner!

The cheaper iron heads equaled the Eddy's. 255 cfm from smallblock heads is pretty darn good IMO.

Must have been the Engine Quest heads. Those flow pretty good and are cheap too.

I don't receive Mopar Action,so how were these test done on a flow bench??..were they stock heads or was port work done??..i've seen different numbers on different flow benches in the past,the only way to truely test is at the track...

As long as all the heads were compared on the same equipment, then the tests should be valid.

Are these the same EQ heads I see on ebay? Do they come fully dressed at that price? If so,then they are a bargain as they are based on the magnum r/t casting,which is an excellent head.

Dusterdon,could we have more detail please?

Im looking locally for this issue,but it may not be here yet. Im in the sticks here in Canada...

If it is the EQ heads, they come bare. They supposedly flow better than stock magnum heads with no extra porting, and are stronger than stock magnum heads. Another good thing about them is that you can get them with the Magnum intake manifold bolt pattern, or LA intake bolt pattern, so you can bolt your LA intake onto the EQ heads (the ones for LA intakes part number ends in B). The EQ "Monster Magnums" you see on ebay, I believe, are based on the R/T Magnum heads, as they have the 2.02 intake valves, whereas the regular EQ's come with 1.92 intake valves, which is still bigger than most LA heads (except the ones with 2.02), but still small enough so the velocity isn't lost. I've seen the regular EQ heads on ebay for less than $250 each, which still isn't a bad price, even bare.

are these the same heads that they used on the 318 in the engine masters not too long ago? tried to find a website for engine quest, but no luck

Here's the engine quest sight.

http://www.aaeq.net/Enginequest/Cylinder_heads/index.html Dont buy direct though. Cheaper on ebay.

I am a magnum fan. I know some are not,but I feel the pro's outweigh the cons. I have a set of stock magnums,which will find a home on my M body's 318 cop engine.I expect even a mild summit cam and headers will net over 325 h.p. Very good #'s for a stock head and ZERO porting.

For my Dart,I'm finally forming firm plans for a 408 stroker,zero decked with eq heads.Should be a beast!

Fishy,yes they flow better,have a thicker deck and don't crack.Probably one of the best kept "secrets" about these heads is fully ported,they will almost compete with a W2. Not quite as good,but maybe 30 cfm less at .600 lift . I have an article around here somewhere about them...seem to remember them flowing very well,IIRC.

where can i learn more about magnum cylinder heads? does the latest edition of the mopar engine handbook have stuff in there about them? just want to learn the benefits of them, and if they are better than aluminum heads (like eddys or something)

I'd like to hear which issue this is. Is this a dyno test or a flowbench test?

Flowbench testing means jack, but it'd still be interesting to see.

Steve

How To Modify Your Mopar Magnum V8 by Larry Shepard

How To Rebuild Mopar Magnum V8 Engines by Larry Shepard

How to build hi performance chrysler engines by Frank Atherton makes mention and has info on swapping in the entire engine or just heads.

All these books you can find on Amazon.Just search mopar! There are tons of magazine articles,engine shootouts etc..

I dont know if they are "better" than any other head. They will probably outlast any aluminum head. But they are mass produced, reasonably priced,accept chevy (yuk) roller rockers which means cheap..the only real disadvantage seems to be limited valve spring selection,which limits lift. That can be dealt with by machining the seats. I would't go so far as to say they would make a great race head,but check this out.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/FBo_EQ Cylinder heads.htm

Interesting. they've got all that "development" time and intensive work in their combination....

but haven't had time to take it to the track.....

LOL!

thanks for the info needsaresto....that link with that build is cool...this might sound stupid or off topic (sorry) but what makes an iron head last longer than an aluminum head? it would be interesting to see how these heads perform on the track

Hows that???..

Cast iron is a bit more durable than aluminum,at least I think so.. the wreckers are full of 40+ year old cast iron heads..I'm no metalurgical engineer. Just a jaundiced eye I guess!

LXguy,why not email them and ask if they have had the heads to the track yet? Maybe there hasn't been a websight update for a while. I dunno whats going on at that websight. Has looked the same for quite a while now.

40+ years ago there weren't any aluminum heads. Aluminum heads are practically infinitely repairable where as cast iron really isn't, at least not conviently or reliably.

Since switching to aluminum heads I'll never go back to cast iron but those EQ heads are a real bargain and we may use them on my son's Duster.

40+ years ago there weren't any aluminum heads. Aluminum heads are practically infinitely repairable where as cast iron really isn't, at least not conviently or reliably.

Since switching to aluminum heads I'll never go back to cast iron but those EQ heads are a real bargain and we may use them on my son's Duster.

Well,thats true. But I'd like to know how many aluminum heads need repair as compared to iron..

I'd like to grab a set of EQ's myself. Too bad it's such a crappy time for lots of folks or I'd suggest a group buy.

Cast iron is a bit more durable than aluminum,at least I think so.. the wreckers are full of 40+ year old cast iron heads..I'm no metalurgical engineer. Just a jaundiced eye I guess!

LXguy,why not email them and ask if they have had the heads to the track yet? Maybe there hasn't been a websight update for a while. I dunno whats going on at that websight. Has looked the same for quite a while now.

Most factory heads are aluminum these days. Granted, they aren't super high performance engines, but the heads often last the life of the car without repair. Now, if we want to talk about aluminum rockers... that's another issue.

I guess my point is; How long will aluminum last in a hi stress environment like drag racing? I think the main reason aluminum is used now is for weight savings and better mileage,not because it's just as tuff or strong as cast iron.

Aluminum heads are much more suceptable to warping if they are over heated. Also because of the difference in expansion rates between an aluminum head and an iron block its harder to seal. Most all aluminum head iron block production motors have gone to torque to yeild head bolts to improve the head gasket seal by having a much more consistent clamping force. If you do blow a head gasket on an aluminum head the softer metal is much more likely to be erroded away requiring the head to be surfaced.

Also, all other things being equal an aluminum head engine won't make as much power as an iron headed engine because it transmits heat away from the combustion chamber faster. That is why you need to go up approximately 1 point on compression when swapping to aluminium heads.

I got a sales ad in my email yesterday about RHS Indy iron heads. They come in Magnum style as well as LA. The intake valve was 1.92 and 62cc chambers I believe it was. Anyone like these?

-
Back