Mopar Cam 284/484 or 288/497

-
Gtsdude any video of the car with mufflers on it? Want an idea what it sounds like eith the cam and mufflers!

I'd run an Air Gap over a strip dominator. It will not lack much up top and be much stronger down low. Using a TQ, you'd need an adapter/spacer with an AG.

I just know the big hole in TQ below 4500 comparing the SD to an AG on a similar engine.

Street car, go with the driveable intake. Tuned right it won't be a slouch and should be capable of 11's in a good chassis.

Last edited:
It's a trick sometimes required when using the wrong cam. At least in my opinion. I don't think cylinder pressure will be a concern with those camshafts... Nor will valve to piston clearance. The last MP cam I installed needed 8 degrees advance just to get it to the recommended ICL. It was made horribly. So degreeing it is a "must" anyway. Just have keyways handy for the cam and crank in case you have to move it a mile.

Come on moper, you know this isn't right. You can't say you installed the last MP cam you did 8 degrees AHEAD, when it went it at the recommended ICL. That is just where the cam card said to install it. To be 8 degrees ahead, it would have to be 8 degrees MORE than where you have it.

Those are two entirely different things we are talking about.

Like we all say, decreeing is a MUST. Had you not degreed that cam, it would have been 8 degrees retarded and it would have had zero bottom end, idled like a pig and been a ***** to tune.

I often wonder when guys complain about "bottom end" if they actually degreed the cam, or if they even know what to expect. You can't have tire frying power from 500 RPM and expect the engine to RPM to 9500. You have to have realistic expectations.

So SD is not that streetable?

Oh bull crap, it's 100% streetable. Been doing it since 1980. I have replaced more intakes that start with an E than I care to think about with the SD and not ONE time would the owner have gone back. If an air gap beats an SD anywhere, I start looking at the cam, where it's installed and how big it is.

Pretty hard to over carburate a dual plane intake but it's pretty easy to do it on a single plane. If you are using an 850 on the DP and it is correct for the DP, it is usually too big for a single plane intake.

It's all about the package. I have the SD on my street car right now. Car went faster by .2 and 1.5 MPH over the hot dog factory intake it replaced. And, it drove better. And, it wasn't my car when the change was done.

Put the SD on there and don't look back. Get the correct carb. It will be faster every single time.

Come on moper, you know this isn't right. You can't say you installed the last MP cam you did 8 degrees AHEAD, when it went it at the recommended ICL. That is just where the cam card said to install it. To be 8 degrees ahead, it would have to be 8 degrees MORE than where you have it.

Where exactly did I say that?

Where exactly did I say that?

Post 19. You said you had to advance the cam 8 degrees just to get the ICL to straight up. That isn't 8 degrees advanced. That's straight up. You may have had to use a 4 degree key to get it, or may have had to use that slot in the gear, but it's still straight up. Not advanced.

Gtsdude any video of the car with mufflers on it? Want an idea what it sounds like eith the cam and mufflers!
That video was with some type of straight through muffler, looked like a cherry bomb only bigger around , they were on the car when I bought it.
The sd intake is an oldie but a goodie, I have an air gap on my 340 dart, I wish I had another sd to try on it.

So SD is not that streetable?
It's about the total package as well as what the driver is willing to put up with.
It can be streetable. But what is your version of streetable? What are you willing to put up with? Is this the best intake for your idea of what streetable is? I gave my suggestion.

I stated my position about the build. Do what ya want, have fun, I told ya so.
I have run that SD intake and a RPM side by side and I have given my opinion. Enjoy! I'm out. Hate repeating myself.

Well, I wouldn't spend the time to pull out your 280/474cam, to install a 284/484/108
So for me it would be the 288.
But for a streeter,
I would leave them both in their boxs.And I wouldn't be advancing them either in an effort to pull up the low-speed; I would be upping the stall, but not into the 3200up zone! And I would be using 3.55s to 3.73s max. And I would keep the dualplane, and a DP carb. That's what I would do for a streeter.But I would be running the Dcr up to the max, for your elevation.

But if you already have 3.91s and whatever induction, I would stick with those. But I sure do love my DP carb! 3.91s will cover a multitude of insufficiencys.
I have just a 270/.549/110 Hydro-cam and it blows 325/50-15 Drs to smithereens, with a 10.97 starter gear in a M/T. So I gotta ask, what are you trying to achieve?I mean it looks like you are chasing a few horsepower at 5800, and willing to give up quite a bit of driveability to get it. Ima thinking you might be a lil short of compression?

Depending on the exact engine build, your Scr is around 9/1 and with the 288 your Dcr may fall to 6.77/128psi
To pull off that 288 properly The Scr would need to be about 11.0 to net about 8.24Dcr and 166psi.
You already have too much cam for your compression for a streeter. The new gears and BIG TC will get you through that, but at a horrendous sacrifice.

Simply put,IMO, the KB107s are the wrong pistons for open-chamber heads.And you didn't mention any machining. If you want to keep those pistons, I would recommend heads with much smaller combustion chambers. Then you can back up the bus;use a 8.7 to 9.2 starter-gear,and a 2800TC. This combo will annihilate 275s with a lot less than your current cam, unless maybe you are running SS springs or traction aids. With the current 280cam, you need about 10.7SCr

Last edited:
I do have a dynamic 4200 stall i bought some time back as a back up or spare from a member here. But will it be that much different from my 3400-3600 stall converter?

No machining of decks or heads just light surface of heads to get them true. My dad is an auto mechanic and @ the time we rebuilt the 360 he checked heads with straight edge to check heads and needed to get surfaced. Pistons however I recall came up pretty close if not flush in block. Compared to stock dished crap pistons!

This got out of hand quick. I am running the same MP cam and installed it once straight up then once at 108 and I did notice the difference.

I agree, I was running the 292/508/108 cam with 11.3Scr I installed it straight up (108) cuz I thought I wanted the top end rush! Well bad idea.I got the rush alright, but The bottom was soggy. I advanced it 4 and it was still soggy.I advanced 4 more and it was still soggy. I put in 4.30s and the sogginess was bearable. I got rid of that cam.
I say "got rid of" like I was POed, and I was. That cam had a fantastic top end rush; from early 5000 to 7200 that thing was a beast! But being a streeter and with 3.55s there was not a lot of opportunity to exercise it, on account of 7200 was 64mph at the top of 1st gear. And the sogginess at the bottom, was there every single time I started from a stop. Yeah, me and that cam, were not the best of friends.I was glad I had a clutch.
I got rid of that cam,just as quick as I could.
Oh yeah,I almost forgot, moving that cam from 108 to 100 made almost no difference in the top end, on account of the tires couldn't keep up anyhow. In the beginning I was running 245s, cuz I had blown the budget on the engine :( A little later I got ahold of some slightly used 275/50s, which also couldn't keep up, so I put them on my 1980 Volare 225/904, which had no trouble at all NOT spinning them. Next I put 275/60s in there, the largest I could fit on the stock rear-end, and you guessed it, they were not up to the task either.
I got rid of that cam.
It made too much power,in a place rarely visited, and not enough low-end grunt which was continually visited.I got rid of that cam.
It did have a very generous midrange. But so too did every other cam I put in afterward. From the 270/280/110 to the current 276/286/110. Oh and don't let anyone tell you that these two cams are virtually the same, cuz they are worlds apart. I would never have gone away from the 270, except that it dropped lobes. The 276 is a whole nuther cam, and I often miss that 270. When this 276 dies, Ima going back. And then Ima going to do whatever it takes to make that little FormulaS 60ft waaaay dowwwn lowwwww.

That .509 and in general, the Purple Cams, I have found best for bracket racing. To large of a cam on the street sucks no matter what. Wrong lobe adds to the problem.

Sux is right
With that 292,It was hard to keep gas in the tank.
The 270 was a fuel-sipper, and I took that car across country on several occasions to prove it.I drove that cam everywhere,all the time.
The 276 is what a guy might expect; but I leave the calculator at home, and I keep the hiway trips to a minimum.
The very best things about that 292 was it's idle, and the way it went into third;
BAM!
I broke stuff with it. It tore out a clutch hub.It spit out the springs on another disc. It ripped off ring-gear teeth. It broke u-joints. It shredded tires. It was a beast.
In comparison, the 276 is tame.But during the 292 experience, just about everything got upgraded, so there's not much the little 276 can hurt,anymore. It still spits out springs from the disc now and then, but I no longer run the CFII disc. I run the factory 340 disc now. They are so much more streetable.They don't last all that many miles tho; small price to pay to be able to keep the fillings in my teeth. And it's nice when I get to my destination, and I don't have to go hunting for my keys in the rear-seat area somewhere.

Last edited:
hey doogievlg! Which cam? Did it run better straight up as in dot to dot or when you centelined it? Once again thanks to every member that has enlightened me with your knowledge! As told in grade school knowledge is power! Believe me all you'lls input has reslly opened my eyes!:thankyou::thumbsup:

Thanks to all the members here who were kind and gracious enough to share your opinions and experience with these grinds!! You all helped me a ton to take a decision. More than likely will use the 288 surely will degrer it in throw in my 3.91 rear under car and have some good times!:steering::thumbsup:

-
Back