Mopar newbie

-

project74

Reaction score
Hey all. 3 questions for the more experienced among you. As someone who has always had Fords and Chevys (eep!), I now have my first Mopar. It's a 74 dart swinger with a slant 6 and weeny drums all round.

#1 Seeing as a small block transplant is in the future, are there any suspension mods that have to be made to the front end? I plan on rebuilding the susp. all round with polyurethane components.

#2 Which is the STRONGEST small block Chrysler ever made? I'm not just concerned with power but with die hard reliability too. It will see some hard street use and some high revs on occasion. An old mopar head from way back told me the 318 is the strongest dodge ever made.

#3 Finally, can anyone point me to a small bolt pattern front disc setup if such a thing exists?

Many thanks and sorry for the long post. :shock:

I second the 340, get a steel crank 340.

There are disc brake conversion kits available! or try ebay, lots of people selling kits.

I don't think you have to change the front end other than motor mounts. You can run the 6 cyl torsion bars if you want but if your gonna do a lot of street driving get bigger ones.

First of welcome aboard. :thumleft:
If your looking for dependability such as a daily driver a 318 is the way to go.
If your looking for a small-block street brawler a warmed over 340 is what you want! :D
Disc-brake conversion why would you want to go to small lug pattern?The option of after market wheels for them are very,very limited!TRust me!Your gonna be better off staying with the 4 1/2 inch pattern and just get a disc set-up,there are a couple sets on moparts.com

Go with a 340 if you budget allows it, if not a warmed over 318 will work just fine. Stay with the 4 1/2" bolt pattern, all you should need is the spindles and calipers.

I follow suit. 340 for sure. The 318 was a keeper , but for all out performance and reliability, stick with the 340 and you'll be pleased.

Still 340 all the way. But if you can't find one at a descent price, a 360 is a good alternative for power. Then the 318, beat the snot out of them and just keep running. Can't believe nobody threw in the 360 idea. Have fun! :cheers:

Im gonna say 360. Not that a 340 is bad, I love mine but Id take the extra 20 cubes any day.

You'll pay less for the block and theres plenty of pistons available for them now. A 360 will make more torque down low were you need it.

Wow. Awsome response guys. Thanks. The only reason I was thinking small bolt pattern discs is because of the original small bolt rallyes on the car. Again, much thanks. :D

fastbackcuda said:
Im gonna say 360. Not that a 340 is bad, I love mine but Id take the extra 20 cubes any day.

You'll pay less for the block and theres plenty of pistons available for them now. A 360 will make more torque down low were you need it.

I second the 360 idea!! The only thing the 340 has over the 360 is higher compression and and a little more aggressive cam, both of which can be changed. Also if you like the mopar rallies they make them in the big bolt pattern also.

360 4bbls used the same cam as a 340 so the 340 doesnt have that on them. just more compression and bigger intake valves if its a pre 71 motor. But its still 20 cubes short, :D

True plus you can find a 360 easier and cheapper than a 340. I have seen people asking big bucks for some pretty sorry looking 340's at swap meets.

-
Back