MOPAR PLUS Replacement Dash Bezels

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MOPAR PLUS INTERIOR REPLACEMENT PARTS????

I saved a few bucks othet places like Classic Industries by ordering my replacement dash bezel for the 67 Barracuda from MOPAR Plus.
But, now, I'm not sure about the quality.

Installing the new bezel cause a few scratches in my repainted dash bottom section, despite taping them off.
So, I taped off the dash bezel with regular blue painter's masking tape, because I was rattle can spraying.
A few places the tape holding newspaper apparently touched the bezel face, AND LIFTED OFFF THE DECORATIVE SURFACE, leaving the chromed plastics areas seen inthis picture.
There were no instructions or cautionary warnings sent with the bezel.
:eek:

bezel peeling.jpg

ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MOPAR PLUS INTERIOR REPLACEMENT PARTS????

I saved a few bucks othet places like Classic Industries by ordering my replacement dash bezel for the 67 Barracuda from MOPAR Plus.
But, now, I'm not sure about the quality.

Installing the new bezel cause a few scratches in my repainted dash bottom section, despite taping them off.
So, I taped off the dash bezel with regular blue painter's masking tape, because I was rattle can spraying.
A few places the tape holding newspaper apparently touched the bezel face, AND LIFTED OFFF THE DECORATIVE SURFACE, leaving the chromed plastics areas seen inthis picture.
There were no instructions or cautionary warnings sent with the bezel.
:eek:

View attachment 1716242633

That is a manufacturing problem. Return it.

If you are considering re-spraying it, get ready for a whole pile of tedious work to get it right.

just masking off the lettered sections and the chrome trim edges is a real pain to get right, plus, if there is any of the factory paint still present, it will cause most aerosol based spray bomb paints to lift.

I'd have been on the phone and followed their return policy with emailed pictures.

I got a scratch in metal dash frame too despite taping. The gauge housing dug right through the tape. I shoved a thin towel up there the second time that protect it from scratching.

Paint does not stick well to chrome plating
Agreed, but the manufacturer AND the company having it manufactured should be doing quality test to insure the painting process is satisfactory.

Paint adhesion should be one of the tests!

Hold the sellers / manufacturers feet to the fire or we all will get more crap like this.

Agreed, but the manufacturer AND the company having it manufactured should be doing quality test to insure the painting process is satisfactory.

Hold the sellers / manufacturers feet to the fire or we all will get more crap like this.
Paint over chrome without any surface prep never ends well.

I got a scratch in metal dash frame too despite taping. The gauge housing dug right through the tape. I shoved a thin towel up there the second time that protect it from scratching.

Hey 340 sFastback,

I've done this many times and by far, the best way is to take off the steering wheel and drop the steering column.

Drop the fuse box. Its very easy, one phillips screw.

Do not install the headlight switch or the headlight dimmer switch light connector.

Install the wiper switch.

Check all the clips in the dash frame and make sure they are in the correct location

Cover the drivers side end of the bezel with a rag/microfibre cloth and rest it inside the opening in the dash frame.

Connect the round cluster connector from the harness, connect the red and black wire of the ammeter, connect the wiring to the tachometer.

Now, ease the bezel out of the dash opening, there's not a lot of movement but enough to complete this.

Remove the rag covering the bezel.

Re-align the bezel in the dash opening by rolling it in from bottom to top.

Install the chrome screws into the dash frame but do not tighten them completely.

Install the three wire clip for the dimmer. It has a red green and black wire in it.

Install the headlight switch , aligning the tab into the slot in the bezel.

Now, align the bezel in the dash frame and tighten the screws.

You're done!

Here's the best time to do it but I realize that most people wont go through this intense a process to do it. If you have the windshield out , this is a great time to do it as you can tilt the whole dash ahead to get at the connections.

Cheers!!

1714310029557.png

1714309903189.png

1714310408649.png

While paint does not adhere well to chrome, mopar did the same thing and I have several dash bezels that have flaking issues, but those are 40-50 years old.

More than likely the problem you had is from improper prepping the chrome before painting as in it wasn’t clean enough and therefore a manufacturing problem.

I’d return for cash and seek a bezel elsewhere from a different manufacturer.

While paint does not adhere well to chrome, mopar did the same thing and I have several dash bezels that have flaking issues, but those are 40-50 years old.

More than likely the problem you had is from improper prepping the chrome before painting as in it wasn’t clean enough and therefore a manufacturing problem.

I’d return for cash and seek a bezel elsewhere from a different manufacturer.
Definitely return it but, unfortunately, they are all made by the same manufacturer.

PG Classics has the monopoly on the supplier.

-
Back