Mopor 273 Engine Vacuum Advance Hook-up

-

alan65

Reaction score
Hi there, just wondering where to hook-up the vacuum advance on the distributor for my 273 engine. It's currently hooked up to the carb up high above the throttle plate. I don't seem to get any advance with it hooked up there. I read somewhere that since I have an automatic transmission, it should be hooked directly to the manifold vacuum. I'd appreciate your comments.

The FSM lists that port on the carb as the "vacuum advance" port. I have the same set up (273, 904) and have always been hooked to the carb as well.

Pull the line and suck on it. You should be able to see movement in the dust. If there is no movement your prob is on the dist side.

Yes, my 4bbl 273 w/auto uses carb vacuum. There is a manifold port, but it's for the vacuum gauge

it goes here, the left one assuming it is a AFB Carter

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 200
Mopar Tim, what carb spacer is that you're using?

It is a piece I had made. I was trying to get fuel boiling in check, this did the trick. This new gas sucks! :burnout:MT

It is a piece I had made. I was trying to get fuel boiling in check, this did the trick. This new gas sucks! :burnout:MT

Thanks! It doesn't look like anything I had seen on the market. I'm planning to try one also, for the same reason.

If for some reason in the near future I have to take off carb, I will get a picture of it. I hope I wont have too, but you never know.

I was going to go with the Edelbrock spacer but it's 1" and I really didn't want to go that high.

My carb is a 2 barrel. The choke unloader is connected to the base of the carb. The distributor is connected up high. That does not get any vacuum. I'm thinking I should put a tee in the line to connect it to the base of the carb. Your thoughts?

Is your vacuum line connected at the base? There is no vacuum coming from the carb up high where it is connected. I tried a vacuum gauge and don't get a reading there. My carb is a 2bbl

I'm not a 2bbl expert. Have you tried reading vacuum after opening up the throttle? Distributor vacuum shouldn't come in at idle.

I was going to go with the Edelbrock spacer but it's 1" and I really didn't want to go that high.

Edelbrock Heat insulator. Part # 9265 or 9266
.31" thick. Works great. :thumbrig:

Attachments

• 3442713_edb_9266_pri_larg.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 148
  • EDL-9265_ml.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 159
To the original poster.
You want your vacuum advance hooked up to the ported side of the carb. There should be zero vacuum at idle. The vacuum advance works as you open up the throttle.

That one that Tim shows looks to actually be an adapter plate...small base Carter to Holley/new Carter. I have one. Its about 1/2" thick.

Attachments

• Holley-Carter adapter plate.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 155
Yes, it does resemble that one. I'm going with the .31 Edelbrock heat insulator.

To OP. Pull and plug your vacuum advance line. Put a timing light on it and open the throttle. You should see the mechanical advance increase, then stop. Then attach the vacuum line and recheck with timing light. You should see timing advance further with vacuum advance line connected.

That one that Tim shows looks to actually be an adapter plate...small base Carter to Holley/new Carter. I have one. Its about 1/2" thick.

That is what it started out as, but was machined to fit exactly. Good catch:burnout:MT

-
Back