motor swapping, advice please

-

mopow3r

Reaction score
i have a 72 duster, 318 with a 3 speed standard, i have a 360 thats going in soon and a 4 speed sometime this year, would rather wait til the 3 speed goes out lol but my problem is, i know on an automatic when youre swapping from a 318 to 360 you just change the torque converter due to the whole internally/externally balanced deal, but what about on my manual trans? i have no clue what needs to be changed, help please!

same thing on 4 speed...engine is externally balanced...you need a flywheel that is externally balanced for a 360

great so thats it? and do you know if its the same flywheel from 3 speed to 4 speed?

great so thats it? and do you know if its the same flywheel from 3 speed to 4 speed?

the automatics use a flex plate & torque converter
manual shift uses bell housing + flywheel + pressure plate + clutch disk

two different animals

if you swapping to 4speed manual shift & have an externally balanced engine (360) you will need the correct flywheel behind it that is specifically for an externally balanced 360. the harmonic balancer at the front of the 360 engine is also not "neutral balanced", so you cannot exchange the parts with those from 318's, 340's etc.

aftermarket (Hayes, Centerforce, etc) externally balanced billet flywheels are pricey ($300+) so your best bet is to get a flywheel from a 1971 & up standard shift vehicle with a 360

the automatics use a flex plate & torque converter
manual shift uses bell housing + flywheel + pressure plate + clutch disk

two different animals

if you swapping to 4speed manual shift & have an externally balanced engine (360) you will need the correct flywheel behind it that is specifically for an externally balanced 360. the harmonic balancer at the front of the 360 engine is also not "neutral balanced", so you cannot exchange the parts with those from 318's, 340's etc.

aftermarket (Hayes, Centerforce, etc) externally balanced billet flywheels are pricey ($300+) so your best bet is to get a flywheel from a 1971 & up standard shift vehicle with a 360

do you know if i can use the same flywheel when i go from a 3 speed manual to 4 speed manual?

i know, im talking about if i buy the 360 flywheel, the 360 is going to be on the 3 speed for now, 4 speed later..

-
Back