Mounting a dual snorkle Mopar scoop

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
My scoop has been used and I am not satisfied with the holding power of the mounting screws that thread into plastic inserts in the fiberglas studs on the scoop. Was thinking about filling those studs with some sort of material that I could drill out to the correct size of the fasteners that I use (by the way, what fastener is best: sheet metal screws or bolts?). I have read that JB Weld can be drilled, but its pretty hard and may crack the fiberglass if I dont get it drilled just right, so maybe something like Form a Gasket non hardening formula? I also considered using Loc Tite.

thanks, George in Tallahassee

Can you screw every fastener in there?

If they are just slightly loose use some loctite on the threads.
Or look for fasteners not made in China, the thread pitch is really bad, try fastenall and tell them you need USA made fasteners. $$$ but may be worth the trouble.

If the threads are really jacked, you can fill with JB and re-drill, the key to not cracking the JB by step drilling until you achieve the correct size for tapping.

I first test fitted some 1/4" bolts in corse thread, but then tried a fat screw, like something you would use to hold on a license plate.......have you seen those for sale????? That screw seemed pretty good. What about my idea on the form a gasket non hardening formula vs the JB weld?

-
Back