Moving to Georgia

-

67/6barracuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I have just been informed this week that its time for the Military to send me packing once again. First they wanted me to go back to Ft. Bragg but I already served 9yrs there, after a little politic's I wound up with East Point, Georgia job. I will report in June. Taking a little leave in a couple weeks to check out the area. My family are having discussions to see if they will just stay here in Florida and I go up there myself so my kids can stay in their current school and i wont have to rent or sell my house. If so ill probably be looking for a long time camping location and buy a nice camper. This should be my last three yrs before I retire out with 21yrs active service. Keeping my Florida house is probably the ideal solution. Anyway if any of you have any insight of the southern Atlanta area please let me know. I can admit i currently know nothing about the area. I driving through a few times that's about it. Thanks

Hello Folks,
I have just been informed this week that its time for the Military to send me packing once again. First they wanted me to go back to Ft. Bragg but I already served 9yrs there, after a little politic's I wound up with East Point, Georgia job. I will report in June. Taking a little leave in a couple weeks to check out the area. My family are having discussions to see if they will just stay here in Florida and I go up there myself so my kids can stay in their current school and i wont have to rent or sell my house. If so ill probably be looking for a long time camping location and buy a nice camper. This should be my last three yrs before I retire out with 21yrs active service. Keeping my Florida house is probably the ideal solution. Anyway if any of you have any insight of the southern Atlanta area please let me know. I can admit i currently know nothing about the area. I driving through a few times that's about it. Thanks

I have been gone five years, but I bet others will chime in and agree that the south of the city itself is the worse side, and the camper idea sounds really smart as I expect you will be ready when it's time to leave and never look back. That being said there are small towns probably to the west within an hour's drive that are rural with nice people, where you can find a spot.

I have been gone five years, but I bet others will chime in and agree that the south of the city itself is the worse side, and the camper idea sounds really smart as I expect you will be ready when it's time to leave and never look back. That being said there are small towns probably to the west within an hour's drive that are rural with nice people, where you can find a spot.

Goldfish65,
That's what I was thinking going southwest 30-45 minutes no more than an hr drive in a rural spot. I cant stand people haha I like small town living. South west of the city is ideal because I will be making the commute to the panhandle of FL often. Thanks

The Griffin area is nice and not too far off. I am in Jones county about 25 miles NE of Macon. Thank God.

I'd stay around Fayette County or south. Easy to the panhandle and not as much grief. I'm in Henry County and wish I weren't.

South side of Atlanta isn't a very nice place to be. You can go a little further South to McDonnogh (sp?), Ga. it gets a little better, and get's even better a little further south around the Griffin area, and it still a pretty quick commute back north again. Good luck.

McDonough isn't bad and Locust Grove is good, too, even though they are still in Henry Co. If you don't need to worry about schools those places would be fine, and it's a straight shot up 75 to your work. But it's a pain getting over to 85 to go back to the panhandle.

McDonough isn't bad and Locust Grove is good, too, even though they are still in Henry Co. If you don't need to worry about schools those places would be fine, and it's a straight shot up 75 to your work. But it's a pain getting over to 85 to go back to the panhandle.

Ill check out McDonough and Locust Grove. How do you guys feel about Newnan or surrounding area? its closer to 85 about 40min southwest of the city. Im just looking at the google maps at this point and looking for logical locations for commute. Griffin maybe a nice location but it puts 30 mins onto the commute it being a little more to the east.

Newnan should be good as is Peachtree City. I've been through Pametto and it seemed good. I wouldn't go any further up 85 though such as Fairburn or Union City.

Welcome to Georgia!

Hello Folks,

I live on the southside in Peachtree City and know the area very well. Peachtree City is in Fayette county and is a very nice and safe place to live. Newnan is in Coweta county and is also a great area. There is only one campground that I know of that would be a desirable drive to East Point and it is located on I-85 between Newnan and Fairburn. I have seen it from a distance and it looks more like a trailer park but allows RV parking. I-85 North would take you to the perimeter I-285 and it goes to East Point exits. The two areas that I mentioned would be the ideal location to commute to EastPoint. I am retired and would be glad to show you around if you want. Just PM me and we could arrange a time.

If you become a pro or college Georgia football fan you may be in for some heartaches. The people of Georgia have had a rough couple of years.

Last edited:
I spent 20 years in the Air Force. During that time, I was gone for a whole year twice. In my opinion, you will deeply regret being separated from your family for 3 whole years. I can't even begin to tell you what all you will miss. Trust me when I say that kids are resilient, and changing schools will not be the end of their world. After making a few new friends and going to a few school functions, they will be fine. I would strongly recommend renting out the Florida house for the 3 years. Find a retired military person who does Real Estate and Rentals to handle it for you. Keep your family together.

Be careful with the commute brother!

Best of luck whichever route you take.

Lots for you to consider,.. but may I say, that you for your service to our country, from someone born and raised in SW Ga and a Ga Bullldog.

Let me suggest very strongly that you get up early in the AM on one morning in an area that you might want to live in (like SW of East Point) and 'make the commute' inbound. Then do the same outbound in the afternoon/evening to another possible living area. Atlanta commuting traffic can be really bad..... I mean REALLY bad.

Not much help on the Atlanta area question, as I’ve only been up there taking people to MEPS, but I’m active duty AF in Middle GA. If you’re even down this way let me know!

Not much help on the Atlanta area question, as I’ve only been up there taking people to MEPS, but I’m active duty AF in Middle GA. If you’re even down this way let me know!
Year old thread but thanks for the input. I ended up in sharpsburg ga bought a house. Rent around here is crazy, I figured I just buy another house. Still settling in after 7 months house needs a lot of work. MEPS....I remember my old recruiter days.

-
Back