Mr. Gasket Rocker Arm Stud Issues

-

MPH426

Reaction score
Has anyone run across this?

I've had the car for a little over a year now. Never noticed any change in the sound. It always sounded like a bucket of bolts. The first year I had it I didn't do much work to it as I was seen what all the issues were before tackling the "fixes".

This spring was the first I started tearing into it to see what all it had. Started with the timing and it's curve, etc... This afternoon I was doing a compression test when I found a dead cylinder. Took off the valve cover and found this! I talked to one of my brothers, he told me that he remembered somthing about Mr. Gasket rocker arm stud issues. So I thought I'd ask the experts. :D
Rocker-Arm2.jpg

Mopar do not use rocker arm studs....you have a rocker shaft...

Looks like the adjuster came loose and back off....

Not sure if the lash was set wrong as the top sides are almost all
Mopar do not use rocker arm studs....you have a rocker shaft...

Looks like the adjuster came loose and back off....
The adjustments on all the other rocker arms are very close. I don't think anything backed off. I think the ball end just snapped off due to a defect.

Well...all i got to look at is a picture...if the ball end snapped off....you answered you question.

Number one, your pushrods look too short. Number two, you very likely have a geometry issue. Go to b3racingengines.com and read all 4 of his tech pages until you understand what geometry is and why you need to fix it. You don’t need 800-900 horsepower to fix your geometry. Every Chrysler guy should have the correct geometry. It shouldn’t even be a question.

It might be an optical illusion in the pic, but the adjuster on the rocker on the left looks to have an exceptionally long straight section, between the ball & the first thread. That would create a lot of undue leverage, levering against the first thread showing, right where the other one snapped off.

Has anyone run across this?

I've had the car for a little over a year now. Never noticed any change in the sound. It always sounded like a bucket of bolts. The first year I had it I didn't do much work to it as I was seen what all the issues were before tackling the "fixes".

This spring was the first I started tearing into it to see what all it had. Started with the timing and it's curve, etc... This afternoon I was doing a compression test when I found a dead cylinder. Took off the valve cover and found this! I talked to one of my brothers, he told me that he remembered somthing about Mr. Gasket rocker arm stud issues. So I thought I'd ask the experts. :DView attachment 1715737045
Looks like the pushrod pushing on the inside pushing it towards the outside & snapped the adjuster tip off or like you say a flawed adjuster

What brand of rockers are those? Mainly, Any course of action on your part is going to require educating yourself on multiple aspects of the valvetrain or enlisting someone who knows Mopar valvetrains and what geometry is. Just going by your picture it looks like the adjuster “ball” is too far from the rocker arm body flat. Like YR mentioned, that means your pushrods are too short. The rocker with the damage looks to still be usable so replacing the adjusters as a set would be my first course of action. With which ones? And what else to do? Gonna take some research and education or the enlisting of someone knowledgeable to correct everything.

There was no problem with the adjuster(s), no shortage of oil, no lifter failure. I guess it just had a bad day.

I pulled the intake manifold off this afternoon. Everything with the exception of the rocker arm and push rod looks fine. Heck, I could probably reuse the rocker arm and push rod. I won't because, if one broke, another probably isn't far behind. That and they don't look that "beefy" and I've never been a real fan of Mr. Gasket.

Oh, I didn't answer my own question. The question was
Has anyone else run across this?
That's really all I wanted to know. No one answered that. LOL

On the up side... It was running better than it ever has. Dyno'd at about 375HP at the crank, can't wait to see what it does on all 8 cylinders. :D

Thanks for the comments.

Mr Gasket ( Mr Garbage )
Any modern product is Chinese garbage

Even their gaskets suck now. That's pretty bad when you caint even make your namesake good. lol

-
Back