MSD gurus, HELP

-

Demonracer

71 Demon 00 Ram 16 Chrysler 300S 05 Caravan
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an MSD7 AL2 with a crank trigger ignition system. The 7 AL2 just came back from MSD and the crank trigger sytem is new. We tried to fire the racecar today and there was no joy. We cannot get the flying magnets to send a signal to the distributor through the 7 AL 2. there is no spark to the plug wires, but there is spark to the coil. (trust me its there, it bit me BIG TIME, no laughing!!!) Does any one know how to OHM out the pickup unit on the crank wheel? We OHMed out the intermediate wire from the box to the pickup and it's fine (It's new also). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there is spark at the coil, the magnets are working, but the rotor phase is off. You might be able to use a cut down cap and timing light on coil wire, with plug to ground. Then view rotor location and rotate distributor so rotor aligns to leading cap terminal. That will provide travel for timing advance. Once done you need to insure the firing order is at correct locations.

Rotor phasing is correct, that was one of the first things we checked. With balancer at TDC, the rotor is just behind the #1 terminal in the distributor, both the intake and exhaust valves are closed.

Rotor phasing is correct, that was one of the first things we checked. With balancer at TDC, the rotor is just behind the #1 terminal in the distributor, both the intake and exhaust valves are closed.

We're not talking about the engine--to rotor mechanical relationship, we're talking about the polarity of the crank trigger pulse, as well as mechanical positioning of the crank trigger in relation to the rotor.

The only way to check it especially with a crank trigger is with a cut--open cap and a timing light.

In other words the crank trigger causes the ignition to fire at some point in time, and if the MSD system has electronic retard, then THAT comes into play. But wherever the spark happens in time, the rotor must be lined up with the distributor contacts in that instant in time

-
Back