Muffler outlet position

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Where do your mufflers exit, from the center or side? I recently bought mandrel bent tailpipes but can`t use them because I have center outlet mufflers.These were listed as 67-74 A-body tailpipes.(No mention of outlet placement) Every A-body I`ve owned had center outlet mufflers. Is this the new design to reduce bend in the pipes?

Who did you get the tail pipes from ? Most arecenter but I uses a set from Torque Tech and the were side outlet.

all stock Abodys use ofset inlets and center outlets that i know of, and i am working at a mufflershop bending pipes all they adn it seams stupit to make a set of tailpipes that dont use the stock mufflers ofset since that will make it more dificult to use brackets under the car that are suposed to be used for exhaust hangers:( just my point of view, and using the stock ofset on the mufflers will actualy make the first bend on the tailpipe alitle smaller cunted in degress...

Muffler Tech out of Canada were kind enough to provide me with the wrong tailpipes without disclosing it in their ad. So naturally to solve the problem the guy wants to sell me his side outlet mufflers. I already have the correct mufflers, I think he should get his machine out and start bending some new pipes for me. He said he has no template /specs to make a set from, so I told him I`m not going to toss my Delta Flo50`s for his 29.00 mufflers, I`ll have new tailpipes made.I tried to make my point without being rude, that he should have put that the muffler outputs were not centered (as stock) in his ad.

Where are these guys in Canada John? I once told a vendor that with the power of the internet, we can post to everyone, and hurt their customer base.They helped me VERY quickly. If they are near my area, I will help you out, if you would like.

These guys are located in Maple Ridge ,B.C..I appreciate the offer. I wish they were closer.From what I gather they started using side outlet muffler(positioning) because they were producing 3" pipes.I guess they stuck with it when they went back to doing the 2.5`s.

Longgone, it seems to me that one of our board members is from Maple Ridge, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name right now - Oldtimer's Disease. :silent: I'll check around and see what I can come up with for you. Can't have our Canucks rippin' off our Yanks. :)

Hi OldVart- I`ve got that same affliction,seems as you get older the mind prioritizes for you. I e-mailed Muffler Tech again and it sounds like they are going to take a stab at making up another set of tailpipes. Yeah! He went on to mention that these cars came with 1.875 tubing from the factory, making squeezing in bigger tubes all the more difficult. Cars (340 and 383) I`ve had ,have always had 2.25 tubing from the factory. They might need a new set of books at this muffler shop!

-
Back