My 1st 5.9 Magnum Build

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Last summer bought a complete 97 5.9 Magnum for 150. Came out of a Durango with 140K miles. Had a problem with intake plenum leaking oil. Torn it down, and the cylinders looked great. Used a flex hone and honed the cylinders. Clean pistons...rods and block with oven cleaner....crank look good...put it all back together with new rings and bearings. New oil pump...pan and pickup. Stock roller cam and lifters. Heads are rebuild Magnum heads from Ebay. Have not put intake or front of cover on since I dont know where it is going yet, either 88 Dodge D250 or 94 Dodge 2500.

Got another Magnum in the works. Have set of IMM EQ heads for it...

20181207_161830_resized.jpg

Was cleaning the valve covers today also....more oven cleaner and brake cleaner...

someone disagrees with cleaning valve covers with oven cleaner and brake cleaner...lol...

someone disagrees with cleaning valve covers with oven cleaner and brake cleaner...lol...

It's possible I bumped it and didn't realize. I "was here" earlier and read this Dammit I wanted to get the engine / trans set back into the 67 this summer, and at least be able to "hot wire" it and move it around for work. Because of the heat and forest fires (burning my eyes here) and moving crap out of the estate which did not sell, I did not get 'er done. Now o'course, recovering from broken ribs

I wouldn’t clean my engine with sodium hydroxide. A gallon of diesel fuel is cheap these days.

Last summer bought a complete 97 5.9 Magnum for 150. Came out of a Durango with 140K miles. Had a problem with intake plenum leaking oil. Torn it down, and the cylinders looked great. Used a flex hone and honed the cylinders. Clean pistons...rods and block with oven cleaner....crank look good...put it all back together with new rings and bearings. New oil pump...pan and pickup. Stock roller cam and lifters. Heads are rebuild Magnum heads from Ebay. Have not put intake or front of cover on since I dont know where it is going yet, either 88 Dodge D250 or 94 Dodge 2500.

Got another Magnum in the works. Have set of IMM EQ heads for it...

View attachment 1715259486

I'm putting a "hotter" top end on mine (ported Eddys, custom-grind cam) yet you did more prep to the bottom end lol... It probably would have been a good idea to flex hone and re-ring mine but I'm not comfortable doing that and there's still about 70% of the factory crosshatching left with zero ridge at the top. Did put in new rod bearings though (the uppers had a decent bit of copper showing), also swapped over the oil pump, pickup and pan (stock car 360 with welded-in baffle) from my old 360 that only had 25k or so miles on it when it broke a piston.

You should post a video when it's up and running...

Oh and I used a can or 2 of the heavy-duty Gunk cleaner and my good ol' pressure washer to clean the block. I don't think I could handle cleaning with diesel fuel the smell is just so strong and the stuff NEVER evaporates, makes your hands reek for days if you touch it. The smell of raw diesel fuel or typical crummy oxygenated pump gas gives me a headache nowadays.

Leaded race gas on the other hand... LOLOL

Every thing was washed with soap and water after the oven cleaner
Lol

-
Back