My alternator dying?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
I've noticed the last few days that wen im driving my dart with my headlights on an wipers going, at idle my gauge reads closer to D an wen I have my foot In The gas, it innediatly goes to the C side. I Thot it was suppose to stay in the middle. Not sure if it does it without lights off. Also I notice when I hottie gas, the lights get brighter. Do I need a new voltage regulator or alternator? Is there something else wrong here? Thanks

It's probably "absolutely normal." It PROBABLY did this from the getgo, it's just that you happened to notice.

But you MAY have a problem. What sort of alternator do you have?

Super duper big Denso/ some other late model conversion?

Mopar "stocker?"

Moper "stocker" PARTS STORE REBUILT?

The above questions can have a huge effect. You have a radio? Any abnormal noise in the radio on AM? (raspy musical note?) Would indicate 1 or more bad diode

How about the ongoing "bulkhead connector?" If this is degraded from years and years of, well from years and years, you undoubtedly are dropping some amount of voltage on the way in/ out of the connector

You could consider having the alternator tested by one of the dime-store parts store testers, BUT VIEW THESE WITH A SIDEWAYS EYE. They are built to "sell alternators" and most cannot tell the difference between "full output" and one that "just works"

You have a multimeter? There are some tests you can make yourself, stay tuned.

failing connections can cause fluctuation too. The hot side is routed through a fusible link , terminals at the bulkhead connector, the amp gauge and so on. The ground strap on the engine block to firewall and the battery cables themselves + and - are suspect.

-
Back