My balance specs ?

-

fastback383

Reaction score
To me , these are just #'s. They don't mean much, I know they are hard to see. But can anyone tell from these pics if I got a decent job done ? Was it a decent balancing job ? Any input would be appreciated, especial 383 man ! This motor is going to be close to what Ron Jr. has in his Dart. .020 over 400, KB Hypereutectic pistons, 383 forged crank, MP .557 solid cam, torker , ported 452's with the 2.14 and 1.81 valves , 3500 convertor and 3:91's . Hopefully the Eddies and 4:30 next summer !
383balancemedium0mz.jpg

383balance2medium2cl.jpg

1131309medium0ax.jpg

383smedium1lk.jpg

At least you got a sheet with your motor. When my machine shop neutral balanced my stroker rotating assembly, I didn't get any of the actual weights. On the ticket, it just said balanced within .5 grams.

Looks good to me and thats what I do about 2-3 days a week, I don't think you have anything to worry about. My shop doesn't usually give the customer a balance sheet unles they ask. our machine is older so I have to do everything the old fashion way (calculator and pen) it doesn't have a print out like the newer Sunnen's. If you want to know something really scary all the reps from the balancing machine companys tell you (the balancer)that the machines are only accurate to 2 grams (not .2 but 2) and anything past that is a waist of time. I still try to get as close to zero as possible but something to think about.

But .5 where? rods, pistons, pins, crank? I will say that if you'r a .5 gram here and there the this accounts for 1.0 grams somewhere or more? Right? Even if the Brgs. are off or the rings, somewhere the balance is off. Yes I do agree that the engine won't see the viberation but it's still there and cost HP due to harmonics.(things fighting them selves) Now does this effect the engine in a bracket car, probably not or even a street engine I would have to say NO but regarudless what anyone says the better you balance a engine the better it will run and smoother. The factory allows 3-5 grams for a stock balance and have heard that some balance up to 5-10 grams but I WOULDN'T go there! This is why I have bought the balancing equipment to get the job done right, now I'm not saying that it can't be done else where and he's right not many shops give the balance sheet or card out, so you'r at the mercy of the shop. But still the better the balance the better the engine with everything else considered. Most people don't consider the weight of oil as balancing as the weights are so much different, think of it as weight is not 20-50 heavier than 5-30? By viscositiy yes and also by weight, it might only be a gram but multiply this by 8 rods and 5 crank journals, it's still the same a gram is still a gram. Just something to think about?

BJR Racing

It all depends on the machine. (not the machinist, he can only be as good as the equipment) Where I go, has an up-to-date computerized balancer set up. Its an option on the Rottler. They can get within .5 gram, and many shops arounf here cant get closer than 6g. I've seen them rebalance a previous shop's work on circle track engines (that really NEED to be right) because the equipment used cant get the accuracy. Think of a bubble balance for tires, vs a spin-balancer...Bubble is better than nothing, but cant get that accurate. I agree with BJR..internal competition balancing is all my engines get. The extra hundred or so it may cost is worth it to me, and it's way to pricey to re-do after the fact.

-
Back