My Jones Cam Recommendation

-

12many

Reaction score
It helps to make sure you select the correct usage request, drag or street. I didn't catch it until I got the recommendation yesterday, surprised me to say the least. Everyhing is determined, just taking time on the cam choice to see what rolls in. He spec's a. 316° duration "At Seat" ,260°@.050", .378" (.585" w/1.6 rocker) 96° overlap, 110°LSA, a .875" lifter lobe single pattern grind. (Edit: 316°duration is at seat, not after lash but what the duration is who knows)

Screenshot_2019-12-20-10-29-04.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-12-20-10-29-16.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-12-20-10-29-32.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-12-20-10-29-47.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-12-20-10-30-09.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-12-20-10-27-08.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good to me. Though I’d hate to argue the 110. I myself would have looked at a 108. (But I’m not a cam expert.)
What is the valve lash?

That's nearly the same cam I'm running right now as a 90% street cam.

Difference is mines a 112LSA and a .650 lift

That's only an .875 lobe and it's still really safe. I might not like it on an .842 lifter but for an .875 it's safe and real safe for a .904 lifter.

That cam should be just fine if everything is as it says it is on his form.

Mike don't miss very often. I'd run that bugger in a New York second.

That's only an .875 lobe and it's still really safe. I might not like it on an .842 lifter but for an .875 it's safe and real safe for a .904 lifter.

That cam should be just fine if everything is as it says it is on his form.

Mike don't miss very often. I'd run that bugger in a New York second.
Yeah, I need to grow a pair! :rofl:

Is this for the van?

From the “everyone has an opinion” file.....

Seems kinda big for 3600lbs and only 4000 stall.

Is this for the van?

From the “everyone has an opinion” file.....

Seems kinda big for 3600lbs and only 4000 stall.
Yes, aero challenged van. I was really expecting something in the low 250's @ .050" and overlap in low 80's upper 70's, but that's only based on my limited knowledge, and conservative nature on cam spec choice

With the small headers, I’d have run a little bit of split too.

I was really expecting something in the low 250's @ .050" and overlap in low 80's upper 70's

It may not be apples to apples.
He didn’t specify what lift the adv number was taken at, did he?

316 seems really long for a [email protected] lobe....... but it might be at some lift point lower than .020.

Last edited:
I'm sending in requests to many of the better regarded grinders, being as exact as I can be, also re-reading my Vizard books and waiting to see what I get for recommendations. With the good flow of the TF exhaust and slightly smaller header I assume Jones thinks a single pattern is still acceptable?

Last edited:
It’s unlikely you’ll ever know what’s “best”(single vs dual pattern), unless you test a bunch of cams yourself(or duplicate something exactly and what you’re copying has already had that question sorted out).

You’re going to buy one cam and run it....... and unless it seriously under performs...... you’ll likely stick with it.

If I’m not mistaken, the TF ex flow numbers for that head are achieved using a 1-7/8” flow tube.
So, with your 1-5/8” headers...... you won’t have ex flow quite as good.

Last edited:

316 seems really long for a [email protected] lobe....... but it might be at some lift point lower than .020.

I *THINK* that his 316 number is measured in a different manner.

Been awhile since I've talked with Mike but I remember him not being too excited about the advertised numbers for some reason.

Should have written that down when we were talking about it.

12many could go to speedtalk.com and join there and ask mike on the forum. Then you'd have a public answer about his numbers and why he called out what he did.

I'm sending in requests to many of the better regarded grinders, being as exact as I can be, also re-reading my Vizard books and waiting to see what I get for recommendations. With the good flow of the TF exhaust and slightly smaller header I assume Jones thinks a single pattern is still acceptable? Again, assuming with my limited knowledge.

Don't forget to call Jim at Racer Brown and let him give you some numbers.

You need to call him AFTER 5 PM east coast time. If it's busy, call back. He is the cam grinder, parts guy, secretary, chief bottle washer and dog catcher.

I saw the 316° duration in the listing for M875-79378, initially I didnt see it listed as "seat" so what the advertised duration, actual opening closing timing, overlap might be is a guess to me. No clue. I'll just call them.

Screenshot_2019-12-20-16-59-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Stupid question - what's a .875 lobe mean?

Looks like a solid FT based on the lifter he spec'd.
.842 = Chevy
.875 = Ford
.904 = MoPar

the bigger the litter the more aggressive the valve lifting event can be. The quicker the valve opening, the more power the engine can make. Yes there is a point where returns diminish. And that is pretty freaking radical!

1.00 lifters can be found. Dang! I just had the manufacture in my head but they were stock. It was a GM big block.
And the mushroom lifters.

my cam in my stock stroke 360 that is 10 to 1 ish is 260/264@ 50 106 lsa, in at 102.
Street strip car, drive it everywhere.
260@ 50 isnt big for a 4 inch stroker motor.
Don’t you find the low 106 is advantageous on the street.

If I’m not mistaken, the TF ex flow numbers for that head are achieved using a 1-7/8” flow tube.
So, with your 1-5/8” headers...... you won’t have ex flow quite as good.

You are correct, the TF spec use a 1 7/8" flow tube. On a similar note, when I asked Mike for a recommendation using TF heads and TTI 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" step headers, he came up with a single pattern as well. Another person using Mike's program, also, not surprisingly, came up with a single pattern, just using different lobes. So I am going to guess that there is something in his program that dictates single pattern. My application is different, but share the 110 separation and pattern as the OP's recommendation.

Don’t you find the low 106 is advantageous on the street.

i think a tighter LSA is an advantage on most any weak headed NA small block Mopar without much compression. Definately choppier idle. Narrower power band, convertor sensitive at the track
Wider LSA on real big compression or power adder starts to outshine narrow cam especially on the big end

A little head up my *** moment as I didn't catch the term "seat" and just thinking it was advertised. Been looking at quite a few lobe lists and everything is advertised, @ .050 .100 etc, and makes it easy to compare. I'm gonna guess the advertised, from what ever lift, is something in the mid 280's maybe low 290's (284-294?), based on looking at Bullets various mech. lobes. I just want to know what I'm replacing my 280°adv/232°@.050" (I have the duration specs for it at various lifts) 68° overlap hyd with! I know its gonna be a big jump up. Why the F these companies cant just give the various specs measured at the same points....... Calling Monday to get more info.

Last edited:
-
Back