My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

-

Right?! It's May!

Really it's only a couple inches and it's going to warm right back up so it'll be gone in a day or two. Wasn't exactly motivational to get started pulling the transmission today though

A little update, my constant searching for the Circuit Car catalog paid dividends and I scored a cheap copy on eBay! Was super stoked about that, it was practically a steal and that's not something that happens on eBay much anymore. It even came with a copy of the '74 Chrysler Kit Car specifications (already have a PDF copy of that though).

View attachment 1716245394

Pretty cool all in all but between @autoxcuda sharing some info and my internet searching of some circuit racing groups I'd already turned up pictures or specifications on most of the parts I was interested in. Definitely gives some insight on what they were doing to make these cars handle back in the day but quite honestly I think some of the parts you can buy off the shelf now from @BergmanAutoCraft, Firm Feel etc., are better or better suited to modern handling and most certainly better suited for the street.

My shop is "done", the building anyway. Have electricians coming to do the wiring and a few other things to get sorted before I really start moving stuff into it and start real project work.
View attachment 1716245408

View attachment 1716245407

Unfortunately the first item of business is going to be dropping the T56 on my Duster to change the pilot bearing. Not entirely sure what's going on there but it started making noise so I'll have to drop the transmission and figure it out!
Nice! Lots of space in there. Interesting that the pilot bearing failed. Has it gotten harder to shift?

Nice! Lots of space in there. Interesting that the pilot bearing failed. Has it gotten harder to shift?

Space for the moment, once the electrical is done and I move some projects it’s going to be more full than I’d like already.

It mostly just makes noise, occasionally the gear change isn’t quite as smooth but it’s not really harder to shift.

My current working theory is that I had a rear main seal leak which got progressively worse until I changed the seal last year. So the oil from the rear main may have washed out the grease the bearing came with over the last few years. And then I stopped the leak.

I thought you used a pilot bushing not a bearing?

It’s from Advance Adapters. They show a bushing in their pictures, but the actual part is a bearing.

I looked up all the dimensions of the bushing and bought a bronze bushing insert, when I take it apart I may change it over. I have a new bearing/adaptor too if that doesn’t work out, but I’d rather have a bushing.

Thanks. I remember looking up part you used showed bushing. Silver Sport sent me a bearing so I put it in. But lot of ppl like bushings cause no way for them to fail like a bearing.

Doesn't your throw out spaces rattle at idle? Mine do when engine cold seems to go away when car warmed up. Its a stack of round plates. If I ever have to take mine apart might see if I can tack plates together or something.

New shop looks great congrats.

Thanks. I remember looking up part you used showed bushing. Silver Sport sent me a bearing so I put it in. But lot of ppl like bushings cause no way for them to fail like a bearing.

Doesn't your throw out spaces rattle at idle? Mine do when engine cold seems to go away when car warmed up. Its a stack of round plates. If I ever have to take mine apart might see if I can tack plates together or something.

New shop looks great congrats.

Yeah I'd rather have the bushing, I went and looked at all the options for the LS T56 and did find that there is a bushing made by one manufacturer so it's not out of the question to use one. Like there's no reason why it can't be a bushing that I can think of but I didn't want to install a bushing if only bearings were used on that input in all the regular applications. So I'll have to see when I get it apart, but I don't see why I can't just press a bushing into that adaptor instead of the bearing as long as it's the same size (ish).

My throw out does not have a space at idle. I use an OE Corvette throw out, not an aftermarket set up with an air gap. This video was super helpful for that, the OE bearings are a different set up than the aftermarket McLeod's etc...

And thanks! It's been quite a deal with trying to cram the largest shop possible on my property and then deal with the manufacturing delays. But it's there now, electrician is scheduled and hopefully soon I'll be setting up all my benches, tool boxes and work areas.

-
Back