Mystery engine

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought my 1070 Dart in 1988. I was looking in my old shop today at what I was sure was the engine in it; a 318 with the 340 intake and heads. What looks like a date ends in 89. Can’t be! It says it is a 318-2. Replacement block? What do you think.

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1766.png

No mystery. It could be 10-28 196(9) late '69 casting for the '70 model year. The vin should be on the oil pan rail.

2536030318LA1967-75

I'll guess October 28, 1969, casting date? What numerals + letters are stamped into driver's front of block, just below head to indicate assembly date and plant,etc.? Numbers on machined pad above oil pan rail, passenger side? You beat me to it A56!

Thanks to A56 and Lance. I’ll look at the front of block tomorrow. I did see there are numbers but didn’t have anything handy to clean it with.

BTW; the car was an original H code. I have the original title and numbers all match except block. Tranny and rear all match the car. I assume it is the original intake and heads.

BTW; the car was an original H code. I have the original title and numbers all match except block. Tranny and rear all match the car. I assume it is the original intake and heads.
Well then the vin on the block is insignificant.

Just for an example: I looked at an engine the other day and on front of block was 9W 360 ?T 6419 0???. Could barely read it, and not all of it, but 6419 put the assembly date of engine near to the vehicle assembly date (prior to it as well). I interpreted that number to mean 1979, Windsor, Truck, 6419= About 20 Feb. 1979. Last four numbers were number of engine built that day. Special built engine so very low volume, only 30-40 (daily average) of this engine maintained on hand in assembly plant engine inventory.
I use white grease pencil or chalk to wipe across numbers after cleaning with brush. Then wipe with rag in one direction. Numbers show up better for me that way.

What heads and intake were on the 318?

I was hoping it was a 1969 in case they were stouter then. Just to add to my meager collection of LAs(3). A 318, 340 and 360. I’m building the 360 right now.

What heads and intake were on the 318?
X heads and 340 dual plane cast intake. The car had been converted for drag racing with an auto and slap shifter. Luckily, the numbers matching 4 speed was in the trunk. It had some wear and the interlock spacer was missing. It is all rebuilt now and ready to go.

I'll guess October 28, 1969, casting date? What numerals + letters are stamped into driver's front of block, just below head to indicate assembly date and plant,etc.? Numbers on machined pad above oil pan rail, passenger side? You beat me to it A56!
Front of block is PM 318R 30642144. With the chart you sent me looks like built Dec16, 1969. Bingo, built about six weeks after casting. Thanks again.

-
Back