Mystery Rattle Noise

-

thebearded1

Reaction score
225 stock except it has a super six intake and Stromberg ww3 carb uknown mileage

I went to take the car out this morning and it was idling rough, thought it might have just been not fully warmed up yet but thought I heard a noise while driving so I came back home and it almost sounds like an exhaust leak. I used a remeflex gasket and didn't notice any soot and couldn't find a leak. I thought well let me check the valve lash and when I started the engine with the valve cover off I heard this weird clanging/clinking sound near cylinder 1. I checked all the clearances and they were good. All the rockers were getting oil and all the pushrods had oil running down them. All pushrods appeared to be turning except for exhaust on cyl 1. I was able to spin the pushrod when the engine was off and that valve was closed. I loosened the adjuster and pulled out the pushrods, it was not bent and neither end looked marked up any more than suspected for regular wear. I put it back in and reset the lash and used a long screw driver as a stethoscope to try and find out where the sound was coming from and no luck. Checked the rocker shaft, side of the block, oil pan, fuel pump, oil pump, water pump alternator, each intake and exhaust runner and the timing cover. Couldn't detect the sound anywhere. It sounds loudest when I am over top of the valve train and sounds like it is down in the block. I pulled the dipstick to see if that was the culprit and no luck. You can't hear it at 750 rpms but you can hear it when I idle it down in the video at about 25 seconds. Any ideas what this could be???

Side question: I noticed all of the valve seals on my exhaust valves were at the top of the valve stems near the valve spring retainer and all of the intake valve seals were down on the head. Is this what happens when they go bad? Obviously they aren't doing there job but just weird they were all up.

A friend thinks it could be a loose pulley or gear so i'm going to pull the timing chain cover once the car cools down this evening. I did replace the timing chain and gears this March but have driven the car a ton since then with no issues. I have to pull the radiator in my roadster to be able to pull the crank pulley so that's why I have to wait.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I also posted this over on Slantsix.org too

My opinion.

Sounds like spin noise vs up n down noise.

Pulley and flex plate.

Or...

Loose bracket on front of engine.

I agree sounds like a rotating sound.

Does a slant have a slinger on the crank?

My opinion.

Sounds like spin noise vs up n down noise.

Pulley and flex plate.

Or...

Loose bracket on front of engine.
I checked the pulleys on the front of the engine and everything is tight. I even ran it with the belt off and it still made the noise. Checked the flex bolts two I couldn't get any tighter, the other two I was able to tighten a slight bit but the sound still persists and hasn't changed.

Make sure the outer ring of the damper is not loose from the inner hub. I had one come completely off and run across my toes. It sounded similar to that but was a constant sound. Like holding a piece of metal against a pulley.
PS: Most slants do have a slinger, but not all.

Make sure the outer ring of the damper is not loose from the inner hub. I had one come completely off and run across my toes. It sounded similar to that but was a constant sound. Like holding a piece of metal against a pulley.
PS: Most slants do have a slinger, but not all.
I checked and couldn't wiggle the outer ring but I have definitely heard of that happening or the outer ring slipping and throwing off the timing mark.

Will you take a video from underneath and pan up to the top. All in front of engine. Please include alternator.

#spitballen

I would really like to see a picture of your Stromberg 2 barrel carburetor.

Stromberg made a great carburetor.

20230822_230842.jpg

NOS Stromberg 2 barrel pulling strong on this stock build 360.

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆

Will you take a video from underneath and pan up to the top. All in front of engine. Please include alternator.

#spitballen
I can try tomorrow, taking a break from the car today. I ran it with the belt off so I ruled out the alternator and water pump

I replaced the timing chain back in March. Tomorrow I'm going to drain and pull the radiator so I can pull the timing cover and check to see if anything came loose in there.

Rock the crankshaft back and forth with a breaker bar and socket, watch the distributor rotor to see how much play is in the timing chain at the same time.

☆☆☆☆☆

It almost sounds like a part or piece has fallen off and the lifters are kicking it up and around. idk

It almost sounds like a part or piece has fallen off and the lifters are kicking it up and around. idk
I agree sounds like something bouncing around. I shined a flashlight down there but didn't see anything maybe I will shove a magnet stick down there and go fishing haha

Pulled fuel pump and checked spring and arm. Spring was intact and tight and the arm and cam had nothing more than normal wear. Timing set was all in good shape with nothing loose and no signs of rubbing on the cover. But once I had the cover off I tapped the oil slinger on the crank with a screwdriver and could hear it coming up through the head through the oil drain back hole. I may just not put the oil slinger back on as it seems it's purpose was to prevent the timing cover seal from being flooded with oil but with todays seals that isn't an issue anymore. I also thought about buying another slinger and putting two on there so it fits tight. I thought I had the balancer on as far as it would go since the belt lined up with the water pump but maybe it needed to go back a little further by using an additional washer to stop the bolt from bottoming out.

About to head to the garage and hopefully get everything buttoned back up if I don't get too distracted or nothing else comes up.

@George Jets I haven't forgot about getting photos of the carb. I will take off the air cleaner today and take a few for you.

About to head to the garage and hopefully get everything buttoned back up if I don't get too distracted or nothing else comes up.

@George Jets I haven't forgot about getting photos of the carb. I will take off the air cleaner today and take a few for you.
Did you check the timing chain for slack?

-
Back